Riyobi vs Dewalt drill

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by fishhead, May 18, 2017.

1. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

Which do you have and which would you prefer to have?

2. farmrbrown

farmrbrown nobody

I've had a Dewalt 18v cordless for about 10 years and it's been pretty good.
    I think it's about time to get a new one, but I've been happy with it.

dsmythe likes this.

3. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Dewalt 20 volt MAX cordless Lots of power, long battery life between recharges, and I like the light it has (never had that before).

I had a Makita that I liked but the batteries finally pooped out. Makita stopped making the replacement batteries and teh off-brand reproduction batteries were junk.

dsmythe and hunter63 like this.
  4. Steve_S

Steve_S Well-Known Member

I bought one of the DeWalt 20v 5 tools packages in 2014, been using everything since and that is a "lot" of hours use. The Circular Saw has endured a huge amount of work cutting some foul foams and is a Champ ! I also bought the extra 4.0 ahr batteries to go with the tools which certainly helped being in the bush.... Can't complain at all, lot's of use and in some pretty nasty conditions at times. I'm very pleased all in all and worth the investment.

5. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Have both the Ryobi and Dewalt 18v...both are good and so far the batteries do hold a charge when being used....but go down in storage.
    My "Go To" work tools are Milwaukee 18v.....
    ....and I still use and old Makita with 20 years old 9.(something) batteries...only good for about 5 screws and one hole....Too bad that little sucker was my favorite.

This bring me to my pet peeve...

Why are the batteries and voltage changing every 6 months or so....?
    Many Black and Decker tools ...batteries are different...even in the same voltage!
    Will never buy B&D (Craftsman...same) ever again.
    When some one says...Oh they are interchangable.. NOW....Yeah,well that's too bad...they pizzed me off...so won't buy new any more

My last batch of batteries were rebuilt at Batteries Plus Store...both Dewalt and Milwaukee
    (they look like a bunch of C-cells soldered together in the box..

dsmythe likes this.
  6. ihuntgsps

ihuntgsps Well-Known Member

I have used Makita/dewalt/Rigid/Ryobi for the last 25 years. I have found I like the cost and functionality of Ryobi 18v lithium (the green tools). Mine have been dropped/used extremely hard and still function perfectly. for the money I Ryobi wins out every time.

dsmythe likes this.
  7. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Friend few years ago had top of line Dewalt with half inch chuck. I liked it. But you did need spare EXPENSIVE batteries. Or take a few hour break while it charges. Which begs the point, unless you use one of these almost daily and invest in the spare batteries and keep on top of charging schedule.... anyway after giving it some thought, I decided I didnt need one. Just wouldnt use it enough. Nice option on these battery drills would be a way to plug them in so you could use them when batteries dead.

Meaning personally I still own and use the kind of drill you plug into the wall. Always works when you need it. Can set in closet 20 years unused. You plug it in, it works, voila. I have a half inch Milwaukee hammer drill (really nice tool I bought used) and a Chicago Electric half inch drill I got cheap at HF. Both work fine, both plug into the wall, neither gives me any grief nor requires me to buy or charge batteries. I imagine at this point they will both outlast me.

dsmythe likes this.
  8. hunter63

Psssstt....That corded Milwaukee 1/2 in hammer drill ......?( have one)
    Do not chuck up a 4" hole saw...stand on a ladder,... and try to cut a hole thru the sill plate....

Just saying.......
    BTW I have that 1/2 angle drill from Harbor Freight as well.
    That was used to cut holes for plumbing.
    Still works, but was one of the only tools that came with spare brushes.....LOL

9. jesseduvuvei

jesseduvuvei New Member

Milwaukee fuel is in my opinion the best tools on the market

stully3568 likes this.
  10. fishhead

Thanks for all of the posts. It sounds like both are good drills. I'll have to watch for sales.

11. fishhead

How well did the battery rebuilds work and hold up?

hunter63 likes this.
  12. Fishindude

Fishindude Well-Known Member Supporter

It's kind of a Ford vs Chevy debate. I use mostly Dewalt stuff, but honestly all of the major brands are pretty good products.

1948CaseVAI likes this.
  13. 1948CaseVAI

1948CaseVAI Well-Known Member

Milwaukee has not been owned by Milwaukee Fuel in a long time. Milwaukee and Ryobi are both owned and built by TTI Group.

DeWalt, Porter Cable and Craftsman are all owned by Black and Decker.

14. stully3568

stully3568 Member

Milwaukee fuel!!! Second to none.

15. hunter63

Sorry I misss this question till now....Battery up date.....

But interesting that this thread was bumped....
    Rearranging a lot of power tools ...came across the Craftsman 18v drill/saw combo....
    The original battery...dead..like charger say "DEAD"
    The battery I had rebuilt charge up and works just fine.....the receipt said 2008.

Of the 5 Milwaukee batteries for my work tools 2 seem to take a charge.....3 are dead as well.
    Not sure if I'm gonna bother rebuilding/replacing them....as I don't use them everyday, like I did when working......Retired in 2007.

Been using an older Black and Decker 18v for projects...work just fine.....
    BUT
    What ever you use...2 batteries are a must....3 or more in remote locations even better.