Rising Fuel Prices: Have you changed or adapted?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ramblin Wreck, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

As fuel prices have risen, I definitely think more about combining trips or delaying some tasks/purchases until they can be combined. At work, I've adjusted schedules for two staffers so that they could begin car pooling. On the farm, I use a very fuel efficient tractor for hauling more often now, rather than a semi fuel efficient truck. Have you adapted in any way to reduce consumption, or are you just having to budget more for fuel?

2. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

we go to and from work and to the grocery store once every two weeks. rest of the time we stay home.

3. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I have been trying (even more than I already was) to not make unnecessary trips to town -- combining trips, and so on. I am also making preparations to do at least one day of my two-day-a-week job at home, with the full cooperation of my pastor (I'm the church secretary). Modern technology does allow some things that wouldn't have been possible in the past.

Kathleen

4. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

From the looks of the cars zipping down the road (slowing down conserves gas!) you wouldn't think that the prices were hurting most drivers. The only difference I've noticed is that there are a tad fewer over-sized SUV's.

5. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

Dh and I bought a vw golf tdi. It gets excellent gas mileage. I just got that 'feeling' back in August, did two months of research and bought it in October.....We also have a dodge 250 diesel pick up for our business. We are in the process of choosing a conversion system to put in it for using waste vegetable oil. We've checked out biodiesel as well, but feel the WVO conversion is the way for us to go.

With running our own business - switching to WVO should save us hundreds of dollars a month. We've always combined trips and minimized driving in other ways - but haven't been able to strip back those business miles. We plan our routes as efficiently as we can, and my husband has gradually cut back on accounts further away - and focused on advertising closer to home, building up our local clientel.

Niki

6. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

I sold my SUV and got a 30mpg car. I also don't head into Raleigh (60 miles R/T)on the weekends anymore unless I really have to.

7. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

the added winter fuel costs have cost me a vacation i really needed to take. i have not been on vacation in years and planned to this summer.

i do not pleasure drive anymore...in fact i no longer patronize convenient foods like fast foods. really, i do not eat out at all. i really miss the small ice cream shacks i used to visit.

i have also started cutting firewood when i normally only harvest dead wood in the fall. i am cutting it green to be sure i don't have to spend $3500 on fuel oil this year.

when i take another job, it should happen very soon i hope, it will be within 12 miles and not the 25 i used to allow for work.

fuel costs are also leading to inflation across the board so i am eating more of what i grow and cheaper foods like liver (beef and chicken). i have not had a steak in months. my bbq grill has an empty tank and it most likely will all summer.

8. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i live so far from town, i have been combining trips for a long time. sure can't make the trip to town every day!

i also bought another subaru, with a 2.2 liter engine and 5 speed. gets about 10 miles mormpg than my other car. evey little bit helps. :)

9. Sasha

Sasha Well-Known Member

We loved to take drives just for the heck of it. We don't do that anymore.

We don't go to town as much on the weekends. I thought this would be a big deal to me, since the kids and I are home all week, but it's not been too bad.

We're dead-set on getting a woodstove installed by the fall. No way can we afford gas heat for another winter.

10. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

My truck does not move much anymore.....but the VW Golf does most of our going. We don't go on trips as much anymore and have cut 1,000 miles off of our vacation plans..... :walk:

11. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

I only go to town about once every 2 weeks or so. DH was driving 18 miles to work one way but luckily a new guy started at his work who lives just up the road from us. Now they are carpooling, so thats cutting his gas bill in half. :dance:

12. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

I've cut out most of the unneccesary trips.
    Trying not to make so many milk and bread runs, that sort of thing.

13. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

It's forced me to buy a motorcycle again, Darn! :)

A/C isn't in, furnace was set a lot lower this past winter. Wood stove will be going more this winter. I'll probably actually get around to making those passive solar heat chimney thingies on the side of the house this summer. Whole house fan will be going in shortly. More windows open to catch the breezes.

As much as I'd like to blame my truck, it's just not cost effective for me to buy and feed yet another vehicle and not use the truck as the daily commuter.

14. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

My husband takes the car about half of the time...and I call him to p/u things as needed on the way home....I am trying to shop every 7-8 weeks. Not that its a great distance to shop (20miles round trip) and DH work is 16miles roundtrip...but F-250 is a gas guzzler but practical for transporting firewood etc.

We've burnt wood for quite a number of years so no changes that way. My husband has noticed that #2 fuel oil for our furnace is not as clean as it used to be and the filter/nozzle need to be cleaned/replaced more often to maintain efficiency on the furnace/hot water ( he is a burner tech)

My hay supplier had dramatic increases in his fertilizer and baling twine and diesel so he is going from $3 a bale to $4 and we may be forced to reduce our goat herd.... :shrug:

We've gone overboard on the garden and critters this year inanticipation of inflation and rising fuel prices and NAIS...
    We also have a very small solar set-up for power outages/shortages.....and a wood cookstove.....rumors of 72% electric bill increases have us thinking ahead.

15. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Yep. We now set the cruise back to 55mph. Ouch. It hurts when everyone is flying by at 70+...
    But it's funny how fast we got used to it. I kind of like driving better now.
    I don't have to worry about passing that "slow" guy anymore.. :dance:

We can't afford to get a gas sipper car right now, but we are going to buy some bicycles to use for quick trips to the local store on nice days.

16. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

My husband took his motorcycle to work for the first time yesterday. At my suggestion, he found a bike, took the class, got it registered and tagged in one months time. I think that's the fastest he ever acted on a suggestion from me. :) Anyway sure should help, since we have two gas hogs and my daughter has taken over my "rice burner" car. We have had a woodstove for so long that all the locals call us when a tree goes down, knowing that we will use the wood.

17. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

DH rides his bicycle to work (16 miles round trip) every day, rain or shine. My office is too far away to bicycle (50 miles RT), so I've consolidated my work schedule so I only go in twice a week -- once if I can get away with it. I'm also looking into joining a group practice that's much closer to home instead of my solo practice.

DH put baskets on the back of my bike so I can pick up groceries on the bike instead of driving. A gallon of milk throws my balance off, though!

We have not been to the farm in WI in a long time. I don't even want to spend the money on gas to go and see the realtor about selling it!

What really grinds my gears is when I see articles in the papers stating that people are not cutting back on their driving at all. I guess those of us who don't make a fortune don't count as "people" huh?

Pony!

18. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

Me too. I used to pass everything on the road. Not anymore. I set my cruise around 55, and I will slow down and stay behind drivers going 45.

19. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

I got rid of my Explorer that was bought new in 2001 - got it paid off in February and just got tired of driving it to work every day. The tires were totally bald on it and it was going to need some work. Why was I driving such a gas hog everyday simply to go to work?

I traded it in for a Chevy Malibu that I got on May 31. The tank was full when I picked it up and since then I've put gas in it ONCE!! The tank was nearing empty and I filled the tank halfway between the 1/2 & 3/4 mark. I still have over 1/4 tank left!

I go in to work during the weekdays as does my wife. Between little league with our son, we are constantly running it seems. But now without an Explorer to feed, it's nice.

I know everybody complains about the price of gas, but I see very few people changing their driving habits. When we go visit the in-laws on Sunday's, they live on a major road. Traffic is as much now as it was before the high gas prices.

People complain about the price, but the majority don't do anything about it.

20. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I've decided to make more money and allow more for energy costs. Boy this reality thing is exhausting.