Ripening Pumpkin

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by kitaye, Nov 4, 2006.

1. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

We have two lovely pumpkins that are still very green on the outside even though the vine has been shriveled up for over a month. I had to bring them in because of the freezing temps.

Now I need to know if there is some way to ripen them inside. I'd like to eventually cook them into pie filling and freeze them if they will ripen nicely.

2. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

I ripen pumpkins on an open shelf in a stairwell that faces south and has a window to the south and to the west. It gets warm in there when the sun it out, and it's insulated some so it doesn't get cold at night.

3. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

I had a green one that the vine died on me in late August. It's been sitting on my covered back porch for nearly two months. I was about to see if I could make a "green pumpkin pie" with apple pie spices, a la "Little House on The Priarie" (read that in "On The Shores of Silver Lake"..."Pa" took a bite and wanted to know where in samhill Ma had found apples...

Remembered I had that green pumpkin on the back porch...it was completely orange when I went to fetch it. So I suspect if it wants to change, it will...
    But I would put it someplace cool - out of hard freezes' way.