Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suddenly all of my bell peppers are getting what looks like sun scald just as they start to show any color. It's not feasible for me to provide shade cloth for the amount of peppers I'm growing. I think I'm going to pick as many as I can and try to ripen them off the plant. Has anyone done that with much luck? I know they would taste better ripened on the plant, but at this rate they are all heading to the pigs instead of the humans.

What's the best way to ripen them off the plant?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
We are having the same issue, so I was just reading about this the other day, but have not done it yet. They noted that the flavor is the same ripened on or off the plant. It appears to be the same idea as when you bring your green tomatoes in. Newspaper or boxes, try not to have them touch.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The not touching part is going to be a pain. I have them in crates right now. Guess I'll have to find a place to spread them all out. On the other hand, at least I have a ton of peppers to ripen...

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I think they could touch, it's not like they're curing like onions. Just keep an eye on them, if one rots it could quickly spread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts