Ringworm

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by evermoor, Jan 13, 2005.

1. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone had a miracle cure for ringworm. Our farm didn't have a problem till last two years. Now everyone gets it from babies to big girls to the wife ( funny I don't). We have bleached, painted, cleaned,use creams, and many other things with mixed results. Generally I don't worry because it will go away and not harm the animal. Now this stuff is present all year, leaving scars, and many cannot show because of it. Vaginal yeast cream works good on a small fresh spot. We got an antifugal spray for big jobs, but dang expensive. I heard of getting a goat helps. I would love to leave the lots and barn empty but that really isn't going to happen. Love to hear suggestions Thanks

2. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

Some people spray texture of iodine on it.
    Keep it out of the eyes.
    Every where they rub will transfer the fungus.
    Sunlight is goo if you can find it.

3. lilsassafrass

lilsassafrass Well-Known Member

As you say monastat works pretty well for ringworm when the problem is minor.
    Are you disinfecting all your equipment and brushes and headgates bunkers stall walls etc , you should also disinfect your clothing , and be tenacious about washing your hands as well .. ringworm can be a vicious cycle once it is in the barn ..agree with bumpas .. sunlight goes a long way ..baring that a 1 in 10 solution of bleach works too.
    another trick is coppertox .. on the spots .. but i wouldnt use that on slaughter animals

4. largeanivet

largeanivet Member

You can try BLUE KOTE spray, or rose dust that should work for you also bleach can work on some types of worm DO NOT USE NEAR THE EYES OR NOSE.. Better yet stay away from the head all togather with the bleach.

Scrap the airea with a curry comb than apply what you want to use the rose dust is the best. let me know how it works for you ...

Scott DVM..