Right time to pick blackberries???

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ahne Homestead, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Ahne Homestead

Ahne Homestead Well-Known Member

Yesterday one of my relatives came over to pick blackberries and told me the berries sugar content varies through out the day. He thought early in the morning, after the sun had been on them for a while was best. Has any one heard of this??? and is it true??? Carl

2. momof42003

momof42003 New Member

I did not even know that blackberries were even ripe yet.. Oh well, I guess that I had better start to pay attention when I go by them.....

3. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

All I know is that the best time to pick is a day or two after a rain. Those are the sweetest and juicest. Unfortunately we haven't had rain here in almost a month. The blackberries have already ripened into small sour berries. Although I did get some big juicy ones about two weeks ago.

4. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

My grandfather thought the best time to pick them was late afternoon, but that might have been so Grandma could make them into a cobbler in time for supper.

5. Ky gal

Ky gal Well-Known Member

Yesterday evening, I went and checked on our wild blackberry patches.
    They were ripe alright but about the size of the tip of my baby finger. Little- bitty things.

It is so dry around here that the bluegrass has turned a crunchy brown and our first cutting of hay was a disaster.

6. BluegrassBerrys

BluegrassBerrys Member

just so you know there are several things that effect the sweetness of a blackberry.

#1 Variety: some types are genetically predisposed to being sweeter.
    #2 Sunlight: Berries are sweeter when there have been lots of clear days preceeding harvest, and when the plants are in full-sun
    #3 Water:Berries are sweeter when the plant has an abundant supply of water

unfortunately I have not seen any wild blackberries survive this year around our farm. the bluegrass is absolutely dry. Luckily my tame ones have irrigation.

As a commercial blackberry producer I like to pick blackberries as early in the morning as I can. Sweetness is not the reason. The temperature at harvest determines how long the berries will store. I like to pick early and get them in the cooler ASAP. with good handling and frequent harvesting We can get them to last several weeks.