Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those thinking about getting into rabbits we have now officially grown, dressed and eaten enough to give some feedback that might help.

We grow mini-satins. They come in a variety of sizes so unless you make an effort to have only the larger ones you might find the weights vary quite a bit.

We dispatch at ten weeks and the kits are just above 3 pounds on the average. After dressing and freezing the kits are between 1.5 and 2.2 pounds. It takes a little longer in time but they eat much less food per kit so it more than evens out.

The middle ones are perfect for my wife and myself. We even have some leftovers for the next day. The slightly larger ones fit very well when we have our son over for dinner, which is quite often.

So, unless you have a larger family, or you really, really like leftover rabbit the smaller breeds might do as well for you as the larger, more traditional ones.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I agree. Cooking for one. I have a meat rabbit line that I made from auction rabbits. They are about the size of a large Dutch. I freeze a rabbit in 2 bags. One back and one front leg, I cut the back into 2 pieces [one for each bag] I cut the ribs off and uses for fish bait, 1 piece of belly for each bag, and then cut the back neck piece into 2 and one for each bag.

One bag or half rabbit makes 2 meals for me.

Works for me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts