Rifle or Shotgun?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by amelia, Mar 27, 2006.

1. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

For a woman alone in the back country, which would be the best all-around defensive weapon to have for both two and four-legged predators, and why? As far as the four-legged ones go, probably the most typical problem I'll encounter in this particular area are cougar and coyotes. Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this!

2. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Pump action or semi-auto 12 guage shotgun loaded with double ought buckshot.

3. flannelberry

flannelberry Pure mischief

I can't say enough about my .22 Henry - but it won't do much to a cougar or a bear. It's stops coyotes without any trouble...

I personally wouldn't have a shotgun as my primary weapon, I get such a great shot with either the Winchester .30-30 or the Henry and that is worth more to me. In most cases, the sound will scare something off - if it's not in the act of eating/killing.

I can't say enough good about these rifles...
    http://www.henryrepeating.com/

Why get just one? Ideally, a rifle and a shot gun would be a good combo.

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

A pump shotgun, preferably a 12 gauge.

5. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd go with the 12 guage. with a rifle you have to be able to see your sights and have a fairly good aim at what you are shooting at. a shotgun is more just point and shoot and you stand a pretty good chance of hitting whatever it is

6. wilded

wilded Well-Known Member

Unless you are trained and practice enough to stay proficient go with the shotgun. A shotgun with birdshot can shoot a quail for dinner or stop a grizzly in its tracks. If you doubt birdshot will stop a bear take this test. Get a block of ice and place it on a stump. Shoot is with the shotgun from 4 steps and watch what happens. A 12 gauge with a quail load will remove a bears head if you wait until it is very close. It also will not go through a wall or brush and kill something or someone else. :)

7. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

If you're only going to have one firearm, I'd go with the shotgun. You can use shotgun shells for anything close, and you can use slugs if you need a little more range. With practice, a rifled slug is fairly accurate out to 150 yards.

8. tinknal

I say this for several reasons.

I assume that since amelia is asking, that she is not terribly experienced with firearms. A pump shotgun is easy to use, doesn't require a great deal of accuracy, and can fling a massive amount of lethal projectiles in a very short period of time, while at the same time losing downrange energy quickly, helping to prevent downrange accidents.

9. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

I agree completely with tinknal, 12 gauge with 00 buck is a very versatile combo.

10. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

If I could have but one gun, and I've owned many over the years, it would be an over and under 20 gauge shotgun .22 caliber rifle. I think they make them that use a .22 Magnum too in place of the plain .22. You can buy rifled slugs and 00 buckshot for the 20 gauge and us .22 shorts, longs, and long rife in the .22 magnum also.
    My wife agrees she had a .410 shotgun over and a .22 rifle when she was young. :cowboy:

11. mamasaanan

mamasaanan Well-Known Member

I've got a 12 gage shotgun mounted on pistol grips.

Reason being, my eyesight isn't what it use to be and if someone's breaking down my door I don't want to have to go looking for my glasses.

Funny thing, the only predators we seem to have around here are the two legged variety. Scary, isn't it.

12. tinknal

Mount a pair of glasses on yer shotgun? :banana02: :banana02:

13. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

Dont especially care to have guns around. There kinda like tools. I got 6 pistols and a DB 12ga, a 22 rifle and a 50cal ML rifle.Id hate to have to use any of the longarms inside the house. Pistols are quicker, more manuverable.I also like my double, cause if I cock both triggers and pull either one, both go off. That probably wouldnt b e a good thing to hold for a woman, but I guarantee, whatever those barrels even glanced at, has been hosed down from head to foot depending on range and with a full load going into a small area. Also, the psyic damage of somone looking at 2 barrels is a deterant also. THey make short barreled coach guns, double 12s new for a very good price. If I was a woman, I think id want somthing like a 25 auto OF A VERY GOOD BRAND to keep in the house or 2, one to keep in the bedroom, and one to keep in the kitchen/livingroom ect. You should be able to buy one at a pawn shop at under a hundred. Id find somone who really knew pistols and get their judgement before I bought one.

14. dave85

dave85 dave85

the 12 ga pump is the best, you have to do your part.

Buy some "low recoil' 00 buck. Place a carboard box at 25 yards, on a ladder or hang in a tree.
    aim the gun, fire and then see what your "pattern" looks like.
    do the same at 15 yards. See how much smaller the pattern is? You can't just "spray and pray". You have to be able to aim.
    Know how it shoots at various ranges. Do the same with some slugs.
    once you get to where you can center your pattern on a target(box), move up to full size loads and check them.

Mossburg 500 comes with an 18" and a 28" barrel. Then, also, you can buy a muzzle loader rifle barrel for about $110.00
    Good luck
    Dave

on edit; Get some liniment

15. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

One gun - 12 or 20 Ga. shotgun in pump or semi auto
    2nd add .22 rifle
    3rd large cal rifle
    4th .38 or larger pistol

A shotgun can do almost anything depending on the loads used.
    I had a 410 side by side and a 12ga. side by side that I couldn't miss with.They were perfectly balanced for me and almost an extension of myself. I lost them in a house fire, but will get replacements if I see something available. I have pump now but just can't hit things AS well.

16. Lawbag

Lawbag Well-Known Member

I bought a 12 gauge semi-auto shotgun b/c that's what everyone suggested for a woman like me with no or little shooting experience. I subsequently took a shooting sports course at BOW and discovered I much prefer a rifle to a shotgun and I'm pretty darn good with a rifle as well. So a rifle is on my b-day wish list. Then I have another one, blackpowder, picked out for Christmas. :)
    Anyway, I suggest you try both a rifle, maybe a .223, and a shotgun before buying anything.

17. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

I have to amit the sound of a pump can be a deterant but I would still go with a 12 gauge AUTO! multipal shots at the click of a button are hard to beat !
    Find the cheapest one ya can they are all good and have it sawn off just past the leagal limit.Shoot it with the heavyest loads you can find and see how ya feel about the kick .If its to much have the smith that sawed it for ya add some weight a pound at a time till ya think of it as a smooth shove.They will tell ya its too heavy but a heavy gun you can shoot is tons beeter than one you cant! Then go out and blast the heck out of a stump till its second nature say about 4 boxes of shells. Do this two weekends in a row then go back in a month and see if it still feels right.

18. Dahc

Dahc Don't Tase me, bro!?!

For those of us who can't afford pumps, a 12 gauge single shot works pretty well if you use it right.... $110.

A double barrel will give you another shot.

19. mowrey1999

mowrey1999 Well-Known Member

My vote is for a 12 guage shotgun ,around 22 -26inch barrel , and dont use # 8 shot ,Just my opinion, As in the other post the guy said see what the shot does at about 4 steps, well sure at 4 steps but 25 -35 yards it will just ---- off a bear,and when you start getting 25 yards and more away with birdshot you will just end up like Dick Cheneys friend scratched up ,----ed off , and if a bear was 25 yards ,I wouldnt want # 8 shot or as far as that goes a cougar either , So just my opinion I would stay with #2 shot or 00 if for protection, You cant afford to take a chance with a bear and the wrong load.as far as a second gun I would carry at least a 357 mag 4-6 inch revolver on my side ,if in areas that might have bears or cougars in case the other gun somehow was not close or you were knocked to the ground at least you have a chance to get to something , just my opinion,

20. flannelberry

flannelberry Pure mischief

I'd agree with the over/under - we have one of those and it's not my favorite to shoot but it is practical.

I think the main thing is to take a shooting class - even with shot you've got to be at least in the ball park. And, you don't want to be pulling the trigger in an emergency and not have enough experience to be comfortable - regardless of the weapon you pick.

I'd also agree with the pistol post. I'm starting to lean that way myself, just for the easy of carry if nothing else.