Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are my options? Older Craftsman, had a 15.5 Briggs that is beyond repair. Buddy is checking at work(Kohler) for an engine that would work, but he's not sure if they make one for this mower.

If I get a motor, any chance I can get some speed out of it?:) I don't need it for mowing, but if it could get up to 20 mph or so... Hydrostatic tranny, I assume that if I switched the pullies that drive it for more speed I would just fry the pump?

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sadly, rebuild is not an option for this one, failure was VERY catastrophic! Have been told the Kohler's go for about $10/hp on larger engines, so if one will fit...

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
If your talking about a hole in the block, that is no big deal. Back in the chain drive motorcycles days we fixed the holes with either aluminum welding or epoxy rosin.

The most common problem was a broke chain that shattered the area just ahead of the drive sprocket, I have repaired at least 100 units with the rosin, some are still going today.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
I doubt you'll get much speed out of a hydrostat if you put an older gear tranny in it you can switch the pullies and gain some . But with a hydrostat you'd have to port the pumps , A very iffy proposition as too much volume and pressure will cause all kinds of things to fail. Then you also have the problem that the outer bearings are likely just bushings in the axles and would wear out quickly at 20 MPH .
As for a motor that will fit thats no biggy as long as the drive pulley will fit you can always redrill the mounting holes.

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
$10/hp...don't you think that is more like $20 or $25?

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Yes rosin could do it, but you would have to have a parallel shaped piece to insert into the hole and a complete tear down too.

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

Now you know why they're called air cooled engines;-)

RF

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,703 Posts
Herb said:
You're right, that motor is more messed up than a soup sandwich.
LOL I like that one

·
Premium Member
3,037 Posts
Ah heck DC....patch it up, trade out the 30 weight for FGMO, mount some hive forks on the front and turn it into the all in one
Hive smokin, oil fogging, pollinating machine of all time......darn tightwad farmers wouldn't even balk at your prices as they'd feel so sorry for ya ;)

David
aka David Stewart (down the hall @ beesource)

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Did you try eBay for a used one? Also search for a good block there.

It is E-Z to get speed out of a hydro if you learn what is controlling the overflow ports. They are usually valved and sometimes also mechanically governed to reach a certain top speed. Override the mechanical governor and mess with the spring tension of the valving, and you can get them to go quite fast. I have seen old Cub Cadets do 55. I say SEEN because I am not nuts enough to actually ride one that fast with that type of steering and those small tires. But guys do it!

·
Registered
188 Posts
dcross said:
W

If I get a motor, any chance I can get some speed out of it?:) I don't need it for mowing, but if it could get up to 20 mph or so... Hydrostatic cranny,

Get yourself a manual shift trans axle and bolt it up in place of your hydro. Put an 8in pulley on the engine and a 5 in pulley on the trans. and you will get plenty of speed. be careful of running the original brakes they are only made to stop you at 5mph

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
But not as neglected as the one in Post #5! LOLOLOL

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 22 Posts