Riding lawn mower help desperately needed

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by emke, Jun 5, 2005.

1. emke

emke Well-Known Member

We have a Stanley riding mower, model number 425605 x 692. It is a Hydro Automatic with pedal control. We can't get it to start. The battery is new and the starter is working. DH took it off the mower and had it turning by hooking it to the battery of my truck.

I have noticed while starting it in the past that the pedal you push in to make it start (clutch?) had to be moved up or down as you try to start it. This is the pedal on the left. Not the one you push to make it drive, which is on the right.

Could the clutch have a wire or something that has become disconnected? I tried asking DH this and he says he sees no wires running to the clutch. Something has to be there, since you HAVE to push this pedal in for the motor to turn. As he was trying to jump it by touching a jumper cable directly to the starter, the motor wouldn't turn unless I had the clutch? pedal pushed down. I think I flooded it and it wouldn't start. Now we can't even get the motor to turn at all, even when I try to move the clutch up and down slightly.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated. We are at wit's end with this thing and the grass is getting HIGH. TIA

2. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

Most newer mowers have a saftey switch [deadman] you are describing from the clutch pedal... if the wire has become disconected from the lotor it could be stuck in the dead position and will not start until moved/ rehooked.....

Have him watch the motor as you depress the clutch pedal... if nothing is moving anywhere then trace the pedal cable and watch again.

check the sparkplugs for spark, fouling, corrosin... may need replaced....

check the fuel line that is is not clogged and that fuel is geting thru to the carburator....and hence to the motor....

deep breath, and relax, mechanical failures happen all the time and are no one in particulars fault usually.... and many people overlook the obviouson occasion, myself incuded. There are many other folks who will respond too.... so be ready to answer those questions so we can help.

William

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    The newer mowers have 3 safety switches, one at the clutch mounted under the frame, another in the seat base, you have to be setting on the seat to start the engine. The third is connected to the blade engaguement lever which has to be not engauged. If no responce after checking these three, then look for mechanical troubles.

What brand of engine is it equiped with?

4. emke

emke Well-Known Member

I think the motor is a Briggs and Stratton. I don't want to go look this late at night.

We made sure the blade lever was right and I was sitting on the seat. It does have a lever, under the seat, that we can move over so it will start without sitting on it.

The only thing it could be is the clutch. He said when he looked under there that he only saw it move a belt. Maybe when he gets off work tomorrow he can lift the front end and see if he can find a clutch lever switch. He was more interested in getting his radiator back on his truck, then fixing the mower today anyway.

It has been awhile since he has looked at the spark plug, and I'm sure it is dirty. The air filter was terribly dirty, so we cleaned it. We know the fuel line isn't clogged because I could smell the gas when I flooded it. Too much choke. :rolleyes: I should have known better, since it usually doesn't need much choke to start it.

I really appreciate your answers. A new mower isn't in the budget right now and we have to get this thing fixed or weed eat the whole 2 acre yard. Not something we want to do. ;)