Ridgid Vs Rikon Band saw

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by rainesridgefarm, Feb 13, 2005.

1. rainesridgefarm

rainesridgefarm Well-Known Member

I am looking at both the Ridgid and Rikon 14 inch band saws does anyone have any good input on either of these. I can barly afford the rigid but am leaning towards the Rikon. Let me hear both pros and cons.

Thanks

2. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

I'm guessing these are stationary horizontal metal cutting bandsaws. If so, I bought a similar cheapo Chinese bandsaw a few years ago. I've had wasps build a nest in the motor. It still runs. It ain't fancy but it works. I've cut rebar, pto shafts, square tube, C channel, angle and plate with it. It's a accurate as you are if you're careful with the setup. The best thing you can do after buying it is to buy a good quality bimetallic blade such as one made by Starret to replace the factory blade.

If you're looking for something for ocassional use it will work well. If you're looking for something for production use, buy something designed for constant use.

3. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

Sounds more like a woodworking 14 saw....

How mechanical are you?

If you are pretty good, Harbor Freight puts one on sale routinely for $239. True it up, put on a link belt, throw away the included blade and replace with a Timberwolf, and it ain't bad. They also offer a riser kit, but it's my understanding the one from Grizzly will fit, also.

Just another option....

4. barn-apart

barn-apart Well-Known Member

I used a Rikon for a while it is as good as needed to be for me , and I cut 3" thick oak on a curve, and lots of it.
    Worked Well
    Rick

5. rainesridgefarm

rainesridgefarm Well-Known Member

Barn-apart

So the question becomes if you had to buy the Rikon would you?

6. barn-apart

barn-apart Well-Known Member

Yes, in a New York minute