Rideau Arcotts for first time lambers?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by ONThorsegirl, Sep 28, 2005.

1. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

Hello, I posted a little while about the Canadian Arcotts but I have decided not to get one as their is the chance of big lambs?

So now I'm wondering if a Rideau Arcott would be a good choice for first time lambers? They are 80= pounds now and will be over that once we decide to breed them when we think they are big enough. I might not have to buy the ram just bring it her for a week or two and then he can be sent back.

Thanks, Melissa

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

The ram is half the lamb so pick the sire with some thought to birth weights. That said Rideau Arcotts have benn terrific first time mums under 2 years of age. As always size matters and yours sound fine if bred to Rideau or perhaps Dorset. Birth weights are surprisignly small (guess that depends on your past experiences!) but a 4-6 pound lamb/s are not uncommon. They do grow exceptionally fast.

3. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

So It would be fine to breed them to a Rideau Arcott. That owuld be good as we can choice one out and only keep him until he is done, save money and we still get to breed these girls. Just wondering but at what age or size do you breed your ewes. For their first time.

Melissa

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Certainly using a Rideau Ram will be fine with first time ewes. 80 pounds plus for this breed so long as they're fed to grow through the winter is plenty big enough.