Ride 'em cowboy?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Michael W. Smith, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

Having several wethers in my herd of dairy goats, and since all my goats are big babies, feeding time can be a challenge!!

Goats on either side of you as soon as you pour the feed out. The other day, I was out feeding the goats alfalfa pellets. As I poured into the trough, I have goats on both sides of me trying to eat the feed as it pours out of the bag. My wether got left out and couldn't find room to get in to eat, so took the path of least resistance - right between my legs. He gets right in there, and I now find myself on his back!!! I'm 5' 10" and can barely touch the floor with my tippy toes when on his back, so I can imagine anyone shorter than me, could probably ride him like a horse!!!!!

Sometimes having goats that come right up to you and aren't afraid of you can be a detriment!!!

2. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

William, our bottle reared, big baby, two and a half year old Boer/Saanen buck...well, I gave up straddling him to give drenches..lol.
    He always goes back into the milking barn any chance he can because he was raised in there and is after the Primer 1. I was straddling him earlier this year to put a halter on his head and he took off with me hanging on for dear life. I am by no means a small woman but still couldn't get him to slow down very quickly.
    Good thing he is a well mannered boy or he wouldn't be here still.

[​IMG]

3. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

I'd hate to try and fit a saddle to him though! Has he got horns to hang on to? :sing:

4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

my pygmy doe did that to me once, trying to put a halter on her. my full weight around 110 on a 95-100 lb pygmy..... she took off! was running with me on her back! my dad was laughing at me so hard.... o well :)

5. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

My 10 year old brother ALWAYS rides the goats, the boers and our pygmy/mix goats. he can ACTUALLY steer them in ANY direction that he wants! He REALLY enjoys it, and hope to make boer goat racing a national event for ALL kids 12 years and younger, with saddles and all that jazz of course, lol.