Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still have a few decent looking stalks,is it ok to harvest and eat?
Im thinking it should be but wanted to make sure since the leaves are poisonous .
Ohio,zone 5,getting cold.....
,couldn't find gardening forum...

·
Retired farmer-rancher
3,022 Posts
It's probably safe , but like Danaus29 says, it is woody and of poor quality.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys,i just cut a smaller stalk and its not woody at all, fresh as spring...but i wont use it then😞...thanks for the comments and links

·
greenheart
1,751 Posts
My rhubarb does better in fall than in spring. We had a drought and I guess the rhubarb thought it was hibernating time.

I am on a diet, else I would bake a rhubarb cake with meringue and coconut topping. Luscious.

·
Baroness of TisaWee Farm
2,166 Posts
I transplanted my rhubarb into pots when it almost died out this summer being in a too-sunny location. Thinking I'll transplant closer to the house once I move these blasted hostas. BUT....they are doing WONDERFULLY in the pots (in the shade of the garage) and sprouting up like crazy. I'm waiting for them to get big enough to pick, and you betcha I'm gonna eat them!

I would say that if they still look good and aren't woody/pithy, go for it. The weather patterns are changing....old wives' tales are a bit out of date.

BTW - I'm in Ohio, too.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I was so busy this spring that I never had time to harvest more than enough to make a couple of pies. I've been wondering if it's any good, I just might have to check it out.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm....yeah might try it too,it looks good...its by the house ,not a lot of sun...have this really easy yummy recipe that uses yellow cake mix,rhubarb and liquid whipping cream,everybody loves it, ,getting hungry ...

·
Premium Member
8,303 Posts
I have never had a problem using rhubarb no matter the season. You can tell if you like the quality by just tasting it. Older people tend to think it is dangerous to eat after June or July. It is just another old wives' tale. if it's woody just cook it down and it should soften right up.

I have frozen and I have cooked rhubarb this time of year. I have made cobblers for get togethers and people rave about it. If people thought it was tough or of poor quality they just wouldn't say a thing.

If you're still hungry for rhubarb, use it. If you think it's too woody, trim off the woody end and/or cut the outside woody part of the stalk. How could you hate rhubarb any time of year? Yum!

Dizzy and Chris, use it, use it, use it. Old wives' tales are just that. They used to say cut onions somehow absorb toxins so it's dangerous to use cut onions, that you should hold your breath while passing a cemetery, and a whole boatload of other silly things.

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Mine made all new stalks in late summer and currently growing well...It has been a weird summer

·
Registered
904 Posts
We have always cut and frozen what we don't eat fresh in the spring.
I was moving Mom's yard for the last time last week and it looks like the little bit I left is ready to eat. I would go cut it if I didn't have so much in the freezer now. I LOVE rhubarb. :D

The reason we cut it early is to get it before the bugs get it.
I actually cut ours a little late and there was just a little bug damage to cut around.
What I saw while mowing looked to be in very good shape.
I will be right there on Monday and I will check it out closer.
I just dropped a dead tree right next to it that I need to grab my better saw and cut it up to burn this winter.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
My rhubarb commonly puts up nice stalks after the heat of summer. Since I don't harvest too aggressively in spring & early summer, I take some stalks in fall. My sets continue to do well. Some need split next spring. The traditional plan to not harvest after about mid-July is to let strength go to maintaining the roots over winter.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts