rhubarb ques

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by DW, Jun 6, 2006.

1. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

I have been babying my plants and not the best looking. We are zone 5, very sandy soil and I water. I have one out of the three that is looking better this year. Should I put some compost around it now? I did fertilize during the winter. Or do they just need more water?

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd put the compost around it now, and continue to water it when the ground dries under the compost. The compost will help prevent the ground from drying so fast. Cover a good sized area around the plants.

3. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

I live in the Pac NW but rhubarb loves shade even here. I planted mine on the North side of my house where it gets maybe 2 hours a day of sunlight. It's also up against the house. The plants grow like crazy. My neighbor grows it out in the open here and his bolts every year and is worthless.

4. swollen tongue

swollen tongue Well-Known Member

ruhbarb takes a lot of water, likes cool nights and morning sun, afternoon shade.I have grown it with leaves 40" across and four feet high.

5. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

my rhubarb has been looking weak. it just kinda stopped growing. i added some compost this spring for fertilizer as i had the same deal last year. i had one good cutting and nothing worth cutting since. the year before last i used chemical all-purpose fertilizer and that seemed to help. i am trying to get away from using chemicals. does it sound like the soil just needs amendment? i have no testing supplies. i have some more rhubarb on another lot. i have done nothing to it at all and it is the same way.

6. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

To get rhubarb growing
    mix up 1 Tbsp.of epson salts
    1 cup of tea in 1 quart of warm water and pour over plants in the spring and fall.

7. djb473

djb473 Well-Known Member

put a 10-10-10 fertilizer on them i did and there huge we,ve also had a lot of rain

8. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

Got some good ideas...we don't use chemicals. They are in a really sunny spot...I might try moving them to some shaded area.

9. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Rhubarb loves manure. Use alot of it. You'll see an amazing recovery. Some plants like rhubarb thrive on heavy manure applications.

10. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

I'm with the heavy manure and compost applications. Also, remember to split those puppies up every few years to give 'em space to spread out.

I cannot believe, another year has gone by and I've missed my window of opportunity to make rhubarb wine (you have to use May rhubarb, or else the wine become kind of ropey, like when you're curing ham and the cure mix goes bad. YUCK!)

Oh, well, gardening is a lot like being a Cubs fan: There's always next year!

Pony!