Rhubarb and Kidney stones!!!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mrs_stuart, May 31, 2005.

1. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

this is the first year that i have grown rhubarb and so, i have picked it...and i looked it up on the www to see how to cook it and process it....and i found this :

One additional health warning: Because it is high in oxalates, rhubarb may contribute to the formation of kidney stones. So you may want to avoid large quantities, especially if you are prone to kidney stones.

Does anyone know anything about this??? Does anyone know this to be fact or just www chatter...

My hubby is prone to kidney stones and i was just wondering if i was wasting my time...

any help would be appreciated.

Belinda

2. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

I am guessing from the overwhelming response, lol, that no one really has any info on this...I will keep researching it and see what else i can dig up!!!

Belinda

3. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Well, my books say that the reason you can't eat the leaves is because of the oxalate levels, and oxalates do contribute to stones...

I'll look for good links later.

Meg

4. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

there is a lot of things that they say the same thing about like spinac peanuts the list is longer then you think but the worst one is soy bean

5. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Remove digit from panic button. Click on the link below to find out how much of the stuff you'd have to eat at one sitting to cause a serious problem.

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/rhubarb-poison.html

Remember that many foods contain oxalic acid, in particular spinach, lettuce and assorted herbs such as sorrel and dandelion.

Whatever you choose to eat - MODERATION is the word to remember.