Rhubarb and Artichoke from seed

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Randy Rooster, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Randy Rooster

Randy Rooster Well-Known Member Supporter

I have received my rhubarb and artichoke see from territorial seed company and wonder if anyone has some advice for planting them or growing them from seed. I have a greenhouse and want to get an early start espeacially witht he rhubarb, so I can get a crop here on it this spring as it will not overwinter here in zone 7B- 8.

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm no help here because rhubarb overwinters here in zone 5. We have planted the seed early in the spring and got a good stand of rhubarb, but it wouldn't have been big enough the first year to make much edible stalks. Can you tell me the reason it won't overwinter where you are living?

3. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

I grow artichokes from seed every year. (Because it doesn't overwinter here - but I bet it would for you with winter protection - like a big mulch pile over it before the freeze come).

I start the seeds indoors about 4 weeks before setting them out. I put them out in late April. (A few weeks before last frost date - they could probably go a little earlier - they do okay with light frost - just not a hard freeze)

4. Randy Rooster

Randy Rooster Well-Known Member Supporter

Uncle Will- Rhubarb needs a good freezeing period to insure dormancy and we dont get that here.

Omni-

do you actually get a crop off your artichokes and when do you plant the seed and then set it out? What zone are you in?

5. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

Randy - last year, they did great. Here's one from last year:

[​IMG]

This year, I learned a good lesson. The plants need FULL sun. I planted a bunch along the east side of the asparagus - not thinking about the fact that asparagus will get 4-5 feet tall. So they were fairly shaded in the afternoons. The plants looked great, but very few flowers. Bummer. Oh well, I know better for next year...