Rhodedendron Help Needed

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by suelandress, May 5, 2004.

1. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Our gorgeous huge Rhodie has browning leaves and the buds have some kind of mold and are dying instead of opening. HELP!! Can this be saved?

2. JJ Grandits

JJ Grandits Well-Known Member

Hard to tell without seeing it. Could you take a sample to a local nursery? Are the leaves curling and are branches turning brown/black? Might be phytophora root rot, not much you can do for it.

3. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

the leaves aren't curling, and the branches are fine just the brown on the leaves and mold/mildew on the buds

4. I have never seen and heard of a rhodoendron suffering from mold.It sounds like you have a older plant that has been happy in its spot for a while but that is no longer the case.they are very fussy about p.h. and favor it around 4.5- 5.5 .To high a p.h will cause a yellowing and less then vigor apperance, even curling of the leafs.I agree with the other post,its very hard to say without seeing the plant .Iron sulfur will lower p.h. Us mulch to keep the plant roots evenly moist.Since they are so shallow rooted they really need fertilized in spring or early summer.I use ammonium sulfate.They are beautiful plants .I have the P.J.M. in bloom right now .