Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CNN is making it look like the blanchard river valley, especially Findley Ohio, is trying to become a new Great Lake.

Does anyone have a better perspective on this? From the pics, the flooding in that one town's downtown is impressive, but really, is this a widespread problem or is it just a dozen blocks in a single town that's providing a lot of photo ops?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Lake Erie is just trying to annex a major part of NE Ohio.... Seriously, there's been a lot of rain, and many areas here have high water tables to start with. The fortunate thing is that with April/May/June/July being relatively dry, the water table had dropped somewhat prior to the rains we got this weekend, so it could have been worse. Some areas got as much as 10-12" Fri/Sat/Sun. For me it was mostly annoying (my creek of course overflowed - not breaking news) and my chickens looked like drowned rats, the dog was soaked (Why dooesn't he just stay in his 'big dog house'?), and the goats don't want to get their poor little hooves wet (ruin their pedicure?) and just hung out in the barn - I'll probably have to mow now...

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I live east of Findlay. It is a major flood. Also, Findlay is the economic hub of this area and folks drive in from surrounding counties to their jobs, to shop, and to the colleges there. It's affecting lots of folks.

The flooding of their downtown is heartbreaking. It is a really nice downtown with lots of shops, restaurants, etc.

·
Happy Homemaker
1,793 Posts
LoveCountry said:
Here is a link to some pictures my mom (CC-Rider) took, she lives in Findlay.

http://www.oldtimeduo.com/flood.htm

Right now she has about 2 foot of water in her basement.

~Rachel
HOW HORRIBLE! I haven't watched the new much lately but I did briefly hear of the flooding. I always think about the people and how bad things must be but it never crossed my mind about the wild animals and such! This may sound silly but I really never thought about them having no place to go! At least people know what is going on and normally have help to get out. Poor critters. :Bawling:

·
Evil Poptart
585 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
MY prayers are going out to you all... If there is anything that can be done to help you all, please post. I went through Ivan and Katrina, it is horrible. I hope the waters go down quick for you and the heat stays away so you all can clean up and get back on your feet as soon as possible.

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
Im scared to leave work, all the damage I am hearing form this last round on my radio, I wonder if my road home is washed out --- the river was lapping the bridge when we left home this afternoon--or if my trailor is allright and all my critters...another big round will be here before to long, and its getting stronger as it approaches, not weaker. I'm going to stay put for now, its safe here at least. Husband's phones at work must be down, can't reach him at all and he's boss there at evening and has full access to the phone, normally he'd be checking up to make sure I was ok. Sky is getting dark again---we've had over 20 inches of rain now. They say to expect 4 or more for friday too. :help:

·
living at 6800 feet
524 Posts
My folks live in Mansfield. Mom called last night to let us know they are ok. They know we really don't have TV. I did here on NPR that Ohio was flooding, but it's usually S. OH. I never would have guessed N. Central OH. I haven't seen any pictures yet.

Nicky-check in with us.

Also my dsd22 lives in Lafayette. Are they getting rain. I better go check.

babysteps

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.