Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - once again I find myself stuck. My little one (5yo) is an absolute star. She is currently on her summer holidays from school and spends most of her afternoons helping me with some of the bigger jobs that we need to get done around the smallholding. For example, yesterday she spend about 3 hours helping me dig out the pony's deep litter bedding (and she did help dig), today she spent another 3 hours helping me paint the barn (45' long - I did the top bit which needed creosote and she did the bottom 4' with paint). This is on top of her normal chores.

I don't give her pocket money as such - she gets 20 pennies a week which I deduct one at a time for things like not getting ready when she is asked - anyathing left at the end of the week is hers, when she gets a hundred there is something she is working for. Maybe a book or something. My mum gives her £1 a week which goes into a piggy bank. And her dance teacher gives her £1 a week for washing up the cups after class. This is hers to spend but she usually puts it into her piggy bank too so she has some spending money if we go away.

I really don't want to give her money for helping around the smallholding - even the bigger jobs - as I think that is a family thing and we should work together at it. But I would really like to reward her somehow.

I have been thinking about having some sort of celebration maybe when we have the hay in and under cover. Or maybe when the garden is put to bed for the winter. Something to say, as a family, "wow look what we achieved together"

Does anyone else do anything like this? ANy ideas for what we could celebrate?

hoggie

·
Pook's Hollow
4,570 Posts
How about a special dinner, with her favourite foods? Or a dress-up tea party? And rent a fun movie for her - let her stay up a bit later, popcorn etc. She's five - it doesn't have to be elaborate, just fun.

I remember my mother giving me a little brooch - a polished stone with a setting in the shape of a lion - when I was five, for something I did well. I still have it! and wear it sometimes too. :) I think it cost her maybe 25 cents?

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THank you - that was the sort of thing I was lookng for. I don't do "relaxing" very well. Even when I am sitting still I am usually going about 90 miles an hour. It does only need to be simple. Just so she knows that her efforts and help are recognised.

hoggie

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
What a great parent you obviously are. I'm always telling my kids "its good for us to do hard things". Hard work is so healthy for little ones.

What about a sticker chart that you keep adding a sticker too whenever she does something above and beyond? Whenever she racks up ten(?) stickers, she gets to go out on a date with Dad or Mom. That way, you get special time in and she gets rewarded.

I agree that children should help around the house just because they are a member of that household. This builds their sense of esteem and belonging.

We do things a bit differently, our kids have chore charts and they have to do those things, period - no compensation. I list other projects with $ amounts next to each and they take those on for extra money. Of course, most of them are a bit older.

Again, I congratulate you on being so purposeful with how you parent your child. So few do as well.
Cliff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts