Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone locally has 850 used slate roofing tiles (11"x 22") for sale for $200. I've been thinking about tiling the kitchen floor. These would be interesting... would they work? What if I cut them to square 'em up?

If not the kitchen floor, what about on a patio? Hrmmmm... ideas, ideas

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
What kind of slate is it?

I would think that black or gray slate, especially as thin as roofing material is, would be way too brittle for floor use.

I am not an expert, but I understand there is a life span on most slates, especially the black and grays, which become brittle with age. A hard concept for me to understand, given that the slate was formed eons ago.

Even if you could use it for flooring, I would think it would need to be much thicker.

Clove

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
Slate will crack and flake especially thin roofing slate.

Buy them paint something on them and sell them. Either wat buy them even if you resell them to someone doing crafts.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I put used roof slate on my floors when I built my house, lets see.... 23 years ago now and it is fine. I really like it. It is black to absorb heat( I have a passive solar house). The slates were various sizes and thicknesses. They cut easily and I just used a notched trowel to put down the base. Since they are rougher and more porus(sp?) than ceramic tile cleaning up when grouting was a bit of a pain. I also used some leftover ones as a counter top in my kitchen. They also work fine but the slight uneveness makes a cutting board rock when you are chopping and makes me a bit nuts. Anyway, that is my experience for what it is worth.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
If you do decide to put them on the floor, make sure you have a very very stiff floor structure. For stone it needs to be designed to L/720 deflection and have two layers of underlayment. This is stronger than your typical floor framing.

I would also suggest getting a wet saw and cutting them square or to whatever shape you desire, to make them look more finished.

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

Lots of good input above. I've had to walk on a lot of slate roofs to do chimneywork in the past. Once they get flakey, they are brittle and break under footpressure real easy.
Also, if flakey, they probably would catch toes and result in people stumbling.

I would examine them first to see how brittle they are. Don't forget, they usually have holes drilled in them to attach them by wire or nail to the roof.

RF

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Our kitchen is on a slab... so the underlayment should be plenty sturdy. They do have holes in them... I was thinking about cutting them into squares/rectangles to bypass the holes, and make it easier to lay a pattern, since the edges aren't regular.

Thanks for all of the input!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts