Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
winding down
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What guidelines do you use for retiring stock? Up until now I've let it be driven by individual rabbit, but we're a small rabbitry. surely those of you who are big-time have criteria you look at, such as a certain age, or production drop-off, or something.

Want to share?

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
we have a Cal doe that will be retired soon. Her milk production is not so good, She's a good foster Mother, but I can give her a nice sized kit from another litter and it will become way behind it's original litter.
Her daughter does not have this problem, So i figure it;s time to move on to the next generation.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Generally you just look at how she can handle the kits, and how many she has at a time.

When you notice the number of kits she has keeps dropping, then you know you need to retire her soon.

Look at thier condition, how well can they handle young.

Some people retire with certian ages, but I find somtimes that a semi older doe can still produce just as well and handle it to!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
small producer as well....
I look at the doe, I look at what I have available.
I consider attitude, health, and reproduction.

I do my best to keep the best that I have.

Of course...one does develop favourites after a while and those it's harder to judge fairly. :) But as long as they are doing their job and doing it well...let them continue. But if someone comes along who is better, let them do the job and move the other along. But those favourites....either find them a new home...or give them a happy, healthy retirement.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
If she has lasted long enough to retire I would breed her one more time to get a replacement from her.

·
winding down
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Then it sounds as if pretty much everyone does it the same way I do...judging each animal as a separate thing.

Good. I was wondering if I was overlooking some magic formula or something! :)

Meg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts