Rethinking my garden stratagies

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Cyngbaeld, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Been a challanging yr so far! Trying to start in a new area after gardening in the high mtn desert for so many yrs, now in south TX. Way different! Plus having my poultry, my neighbor's goats, deer, dogs and who KNOWS what else at the garden, tis a wonder if I am going to have anything at all! My tomatoes are sun scalded before they can get ripe. My cukes are wilted. Everything is pretty sad looking! LOL but I got a plan.

I am going to do a completely enclosed garden. With 7ft tall fences and shade cloth over the top. And I am moving it to the far corner of the yard where hopefully it won't flood and stay soggy every time it rains or attract too much attention from all the hungry feathered varmints in the yard! LOL And I will turn the present garden into a poultry pen as soon as the last little bit of produce is harvested from it.

2. pamintexas

pamintexas Well-Known Member

Cynbaeld, I feel your pain. We moved here (near Gonzales) from the Gulf Coast where everything I planted grew like weeds. Here all I can grow is weeds. Clay soil with thin top soil on top that is like powder when it gets dry and slimy when it gets wet. We fenced our garden in to keep out animals and we're slowly adding things like old hay, etc.. to improve the soil. I did one raised bed this year (out of cinder blocks) but that hasn't done much either because of lack of rain. Do you also have a problem with fire ants? Sheesh, it's a real challenge gardening here but I am determined :hobbyhors

3. Cyngbaeld

Fire ants and everything else! I have sandy loam over a clay layer. But my property is a bit lower than the next and the water percolates thru the sand and we can go from bone dry to a swamp overnite! And something keeps eating my little plants. What little bit has made it past baby stage is doing quite well, but it has been discouraging. I'm adding as much organic material as I can and working on fencing. But I'm stubborn and will replant again. I've only planted corn 3 times so far with nothing to show. OTOH, 2 volunteer watermelons sprouted out of the compost and one has a lovely melon growing on it. Don't know why it hasn't set more fruit, but there are hardly any female blossoms. I went out and hand pollinated the ones I could find today. Have no idea what the variety is. It was from a melon a neighbor bought at a fruit stand last yr. None of the melons I planted have come up, or if they did, something got them. LOL, I'm glad it is not 'eat from the garden or starve'!

Got a BUMPER crop of weeds tho!

4. pamintexas

pamintexas Well-Known Member

Cyngbaeld, I also had a volunteer melon come up in my compost pile last year. I was so proud and couldn't wait to try it. Well, just as it was getting ripe, some varmint made off with it. If your compost isn't in a fenced area, I strongly suggest you protect your melon with a wire cage or something!
    I also discovered that fire ants will eat tender young seedlings. Right down to the dirt. :flame:
    We bought a Hav-a-Heart trap and catch lots of coons and possums. They are little thieves in the night.
    Ugh. We just have to be persistent.

5. Cyngbaeld

So far I've caught 3 coons and we shot a skunk this morning. Still have a marauding possum tho and something took my neighbor's duck last nite.

Just bought more fencing, going to try to get it up, just been so hot and humid. I will prob have to cage everything too tho I've been thinking of stringing electric wire around everything! LOL

6. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Poor DW has seen the deer eat everything in the garden except for the strawberries that are fenced top to bottom and the onions/garlic they dont like. last year the 4ft fence kept them out but not now. When I get home if I stay there I will put up a 12 ft fence.

7. Topaz Farm

Topaz Farm Well-Known Member

Betcha it is a coyote. We had some volunteers come up in the back yard. We thought Oh Boy!!!!! First thing we knew they were disappearing. We just laughed and tried to see who would get a melon first, us or the yotes.

We don't have a garden yet, got to do some fencing first. And that probably won't get done until he retires, which will be about 1 1/2 years.

I would like to start getting some raised beds ready. I sure could sure some help on the best way to have a garden without using a lot of water. Mulch I know helps. Irene in Texas (Barkerhill) said that she put vermiculite in her raised beds that helps.