Retaliation!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ravenlost, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Remember a couple weeks ago when I confronted the smartmouth kids shooting guns onto my property? They got us back...or at least we think it was them.

Someone beat our mailbox pretty good. Since we didn't see it, we can only assume it was those punks getting us back. Our mailbox has been standing there for over two years without a scratch. Logic seems to point them out as the culprits.

We've had a larger, sturdier mailbox in the garage just waiting to be put up for a couple months now. Guess we'll be building a brick stand to put it in now.

At least they didn't shoot one of the horses as I'd feared.

2. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

Please be careful, this may have just been the first strike. I'd still stay watchful, if they kept the grudge for a couple of weeks it may not be over yet.

Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear but better careful than injured.

Stay safe,
    Kathy

3. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

I saw an article on TV this week about someone stealing mail out of the boxes. Anyway, they rigged up a camera and caught them. As I recall, it was not that expensive and they caught the culprits.

4. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

I would straighten up that mailbox as best you can cuz if you put up a new now its going to get smashed too.

5. Ravenlost

Oh, it'll be Fall before we're ready to put up the new one. And I will be careful.

6. Orville

Orville Well-Known Member

Bashing mail boxes is a popular past-time for many youngsters. It may have been the shooters, or it just a likely may not have been. Were other mailboxes in the area damaged? Usually they travel a few roads, smashing the mailboxes they can reach. If only yours was damaged, it increases the likelyhood it was the shooters.

7. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

One helpful cure is to fix up your box as best you can then put a large rock or bricks inside so they can't smash it easily. They will hit the rock/bricks instead and learn a lesson. Be sure to take it out before mail delivery the next day. Mean? I guess that is in whose point of view you are looking from. If they didn't damage property then their arm wouldn't hurt.

8. Ravenlost

Ours is the only one damaged.

9. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Smashing up your mail box is not just a prank, it is a Federal crime.

http://www.ecm-inc.com/news/postreview/2001/may/16mail.html

Would not hurt to follow the above advice and report it to the local cops and Post Office. At least get the young punks on somebody's radar. Nothing might happen but you never know, the Law Boys can be very strange in what they choose to really clamp down on.

Try to catch them in the act or better yet have them on film. You got to love the potential $250,000 and 3 years that can be laid on them. What would you plea bargain to get out of that????? :shrug:

10. BaronsMom

BaronsMom Well-Known Member

Report it to the authorities just in case...

11. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

My sis gets her mailbox vandalized regularly.Something for witless teens to do.I saw where folks made a mailbox out of a propane tank and painted like a pig. :1pig: Now thats pretty hard to hurt,even had a vent so firecrackers couldnt hurt it. :nana:

booboo

12. Traci Ann

Traci Ann Domestic Engineer

Put a TPost it the ground on either side. I bet if they hit it again they wouldn't come back ((GRIN))

13. Ravenlost

Good idea Traci Ann! We could do that in the morning.

Yes, I know smashing mailboxes is a Federal crime. I used to be a rural mail carrier. Hubby is seriously thinking about going in the morning to file charges from last week, plus filing a complaint about the mailbox. He had pretty much decided not to file those charges, but he's really mad now.

14. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

My mailbox is bullet proof 3/8 diamond plate in a 6" steel post. Took a backhoe to put it in and probably the same to move it if necessary. Everybody on the road has pretty much the same.

mikell

15. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

....................I would install one of those surveillence cameras with a solar charged battery powered power supply to record their activity before seeking charges against them and install a Motion detector ON the MB to notify you and the Camera when they are there . No evidence no charges?? fordy.. :shrug:

16. greenacresusa

greenacresusa Well-Known Member

I had the same sort of problems with my mailbox years ago. The mailbox is out of sight of my house (about 800-1000 feet away behind some trees). Kids were getting back by messing with the mail in the box and putting in grass and rocks with my mail. I know it's not as bad as bashing the box in but it would have gotten to that point in time. The kids were mad because I chased off their dog that almost bit my small kids (at the time) on my property. Guess they didn't like that I put a broom to the dog's butt.

My cousin was the rural mailman at the time (my cousin Daryl, and my other cousin Daryl....LOL). He put up the stickers saying that it was a federal crime with fines and imprisonment. But that didn't work. Soooo I call the parents of the kids but didn't accuse them. I told them I had the old man across from the mailbox watching and I needed their help in watching it too. That I was going to prosecute the people to the full extent. Of course they were the only ones I contacted. It stopped that very day!!!! And never had a problem since. Don't know if you have anybody that can see your mailbox from their house but might be a thought.

17. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

There was an ad in the paper when I was a teenager, under personals. I clipped it and kept it for many years. It reminds me of this. It said:

To the one or ones who damaged my mailbox on Washington Road. You are lower than a snakes belly. I hope when you go home, your mother runs from under the house and bites you.

:sing:

You be careful, though Ravenlost. Keep an eye out, and make sure you report this.

Meg

18. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

report it for sure-both incidences. some folks out here (i was a mail carrier for a couple of yrs, too) that i delivered mail to got tired of their box being destroyed monthly (or more often) and decided to make a mailbox. they didn't have the welding skills or friends, so, they took the small mailbox, put it inside that huge business sized mailbox, and filled the surrounding space with concrete :D they had no more issues.

19. themamahen

themamahen Well-Known Member

mailbox bashing has and is a favorite pastime of teens everywhere for fun revenge exc. some kids got my FIL mailbox and he "fixed" it to where if they did it again they would be sorry.. He put a sturdy post (metaltubing) in the ground and on top of that he welded a "special mailbox" he made a steel shell to fit in the mailbox lol if they hit that box hard enough they could really hurt themselves.

20. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

any way you could get that story of you popping that snake the other day in the paper? or tellit down at the local restaraunt or feed store. good aim and not afraid to use it gets punks giving good folks a wide bearth.mabe take to checking the horses with bright orange and a shot gun. hope the mailbox is the end.