Retained Placenta???

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milk n' Honey, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

I had a doe abort two kids last night. They were about 1 month early. I haven't seen the placenta come out. I haven't been with her all the time so I guess she could have eaten it but she is also making some low level, almost grunting type noises. It sounds like a Baaaa but with a little bit of a grunt. I am afraid she has retained the placenta and I don't know what to do about it. What would be the proper thing to do at this point? :shrug: Thanks.

2. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I am so sorry your doe aborted...condolances...

I don't know much about your problem with the goat, though.

3. apirlawz

apirlawz playing in the dirt

I'm really sorry about your doe! To spend so much time waiting and wondering... :(

I really can't give a good answer, but I would suggest asking the gals over at dairy goat info, someone there should be able to steer you in the right direction.

4. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    In humans you only have about 24 hours after such an event before you get infection setting in. Also, long term, if not all the placenta is removed, the retained bits can behave like a cancer, growing and becoming invasive.

I don't know goats. Based on what I know in humans I think this is going to require a vet visit before the end of tomorrow if the goat doesn't deliver the placenta by tomorrow morning.

5. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Call the vet get a shot of oxi give a shot of antibiotics and your good to go.

6. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

i'm sorry you lost your kids. the grunting noice can be because she is looking for her kids.
    did the doe come in milk?
    milk her out a couple of time a day. this will release the natural oxytocin and help the doe clean out. i would take her temperature also. normal temp is 101 to 104. an infection becaus eof retained placenta will smell very very bad and you will have no problem noticing it.
    than you would need to go to your vet and get antibiotics

7. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, i had a doe abort about 3 weeks early last year and it took her a full 24 hours to pass the afterbirth-i don't know if "aborting" is what causes delay or not--all full term does passed shortley after kidding-mine also grunted and kinda pushed all that time-you could see that she still had "something" hanging out of her, and obviously did not feel well--she recovered quickly after she did pass it though, and hopefully is bred back now!Keep an eye on her, she will likely pass it.

8. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if she ate it and just cleaned it up so well that there is no sign she passed it. My husband went out and said that there was blood on her rear end and all over her mouth so she either was licking herself a lot or she cleaned up a placenta. Poor girl. I do think she is looking for her babies. She knows. I can tell. She looks around and it does sound like she is trying to talk to them, now that you mention it. How sad.....I think Chlamydia is the culprit. We have a bought of pinkeye going on that is really bad. The other doe has been getting antibiotics so she shoudn't abort but b/c this one didn't have pinkeye, I figured she was OK. Now I know better. I should have gave her a dose of LA200 just for preventative reasons. These poor animals suffer b/c of my ignorance sometimes. I could kick myself! Thank you so much for the advice everyone.

9. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

don't be so hard on your self. this is all a learning process.
    if you think chlamydia is the culprit i would give tetracycline in the food for the other pregnant does. one dose LA 200 might be not enough.
    good luck with your other does.

10. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I agree, don't be so hard on yourself. Placentas usually come with the kids when the kids abort early like this, a month early is very early, you could not have saved them. I answered your PM to you, but for others will say, that one shot of anything isn't going to help. The pinkeye is just an outward symptom, like a runny nose, and how the virus is being spread, like now the exude from the lochia the does is passing after kidding. The buck also passes the virus from one doe to another in breeding, and flys from the eye exude weeping from pen to pen. You have 10 days of treatment before the abortions will stop, then treat with the feed through (CTC) or move to a calf starter with it in it, you will want to have them on this for a good part of the winter. Clean your bucks penis and sheath with nolvasan, and contact if you can the previous owners. This is rarely done maliciously, it's part of raising livestock. Pinkeye and soremouth are usually nothing more than nusiances, yep ugly nusiances....but during kidding season soremouth can make you loose your kid crop because kids won't nurse with sore mouths and does will not let kids nurse with sores on theire teats, and pinkeye which is usually from chlamydia in goats ((goats do not get the cow form of pinkeye)) (although it can also be from mycoplasma (which is worse) during pregnancy will cause abortions. But your herd is now immune having had it once, so treat them, do it thoroughly, keep everything clean, quaranteen yourself from visitors and selling stock, close the herd for the season, and be very careful...always wear gloves, never touch your eyes or mouth, wash up always after being with the goats, don't spread this to your family or yourself.

Vicki