retained placenta (help!)

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mary,tx, Nov 20, 2006.

1. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

My eight year old Nubian kidded Friday night, two beautiful doelings. Since it was dark and she was mothering well, we left them assuming all was well. And over the busy weekend, I never looked for the afterbirth, which I assumed was covered with straw in her pen.

This morning, there is afterbirth hanging. What do I do now? I will be calling the vet directly, but would like y'alls opinions on what to ask for.

thanks,
    mary

2. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Are you sure she didn't eat the afterbirth? Most goats will scarf it down.

3. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Check her temp and if its high you can give her penicillin. Otherwise, I'd say she'll be OK since she's passing it now

4. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

We had one retain last year and the vet said that it almost is never a problem. I believe at this point it's too late to give her oxytocin??? Our vet said to just keep an eye out for infection and generally it will expel or be be absorbed. The only thing I would be more concerned about would be another kid in there. Did you go in and feel for another?

5. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

When I had a retained placenta this spring, I called Goat 911, and my (equine) vet called the small ruminent vets at the state teaching hospital. The concensus was the same. "Give 'em antibiotics, and don't worry about it...it'll rot out." eeeewwwwww

But it did!

This was on a sheep, but since I had goats too, we asked about both, and for this, they are the same.

Google Goat 911, if you haven't before, and get the numbers close to you. Call and ask them, too.

Meg

6. mary,tx

No. Unfortunately, it did not even occur to me to check. She has always kidded without assistance, and she was up tending her kids. All seemed well.

You're probably right about it being too late to give the oxytocin. I had one with a serious let-down problem last year, and the vet told me that after a few days, it was too late.

mary

7. mary,tx

I hadn't thought of it just rotting out. Do you know what/how much antibiotics would be recommended?

8. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

One of my 4Hers doe kidded and retained her plecenta. The vet came out because the doe was downanad was not doing well at all. That is when the vet said she never passed the placenta. All she did was give her antibiotics, the vet said the placenta will turn to liquid and she would pass it. The main thing is watch for a fever and make sure she does not go down. If she doesn't I think she wil be fine. I would bet that she just are it. Good Luck and Congratulations on the babies. :dance:

9. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

You could "bounce" her and see if you feel any kids in there. Fiascofarm has a good description of how to do it.

I believe the recommended antibiotic was Pen G, but that's from memory. I don't think I'd give it unless she started having problems. Just keep a check on her temp.