Results of feeding kudzu hay

Discussion in 'Goats' started by farmmom, Sep 14, 2010.

1. farmmom

farmmom Well-Known Member

I recently picked up 40 bales of kudzu hay. My 4 does share 2 flakes a day while my buck is separated during feeding time. (For those who don't know, kudzu in high in protein and calcium, very similar to alfalfa.) I have noticed, starting the day after the first taste of kudzu, that milk production went up and the amount of cream really increased to the point that it takes much longer to strain the milk. The taste of the milk is great!

I paid $4/bale in comparison to the $15-20/bale that alfalfa sells for around here, with better results. From what the man I buy feed from tells me, the large amount of vines in the hay, which of course provides a lot of roughage, is what is increasing the cream production.

2. Cannon_Farms

Cannon_Farms Well-Known Member Supporter

my husband brought home some kudzu from work, the goat ran over like OMGOSH, got to it sniffed and turned away, friggin pains in the you know whats

3. farmmom

My goats LOVE it!!!

4. Cannon_Farms

Cannon_Farms Well-Known Member Supporter

my goats are on my poop list, i thought goats just might not like kudzu

5. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I brought some home before and my goats made it disappear in three seconds flat. They LOVED it! I am dying to try and grow some for my goats.

Farmmom, I can't believe you have kudzu hay there, so jealous. Do you know anything about how to bale it? I remember reading it's hard to cut and stuff because it's a vine.

6. farmmom

Copied from backyardnature.net

For example, when you're baling Kudzu hay, "Set your header 'low' and cut vines low. Then when you go back to bale, set the header 'high.' If a round baler is available, the kudzu twines itself and does not require baling twine."

The man I bought it from has 15 acres dedicated to growing kudzu. His mom goes out and picks the blossoms for honey, uses young leaves in quishe (sp?) and in place of spinach in any recipe.

7. Missy M

Missy M Well-Known Member

Here in KY kudzu is everywhere. It is distructive and the folks would probably pay you to get rid of it. If you plant it make sure you are prepared to manage it, it grows like crazy and will kill any plant or tree it grows over. It's good to know how goats do on it, I'm thinking of goats and this would be an easy food source.

8. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm This Space For Rent Supporter

9. saanengirl

saanengirl Well-Known Member

Goats tend to be very hesitant about trying new foods. If you let them get used to the kudzu they would probably eat it (particularly if they didn't have a lot of other choices). Most people don't realize how picky goats can be.

10. Heritagefarm

Heritagefarm Liberal Basket Brain Supporter

There's park around here, one time I went on a picnic, and there was roughly an acre of the stuff. A week later, I went on a campout at that same place, and it'd spread another couple yards, easy.

11. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm This Space For Rent Supporter

http://www.lib.niu.edu/2000/oi000208.html

12. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

13. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Well-Known Member

I need to post pics of my drive home lol. Thats what about 65 miles of my drive looks like.

14. mrs.H

mrs.H Romans 8:28

We have places like that around here too!

15. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

When my son graduated from Army boot camp in Georgia several years ago we were amazed and appalled at all the Kudzu.

Now, in a town not 6 miles from us, and along railroad tracks about half that distance, there is Kudzu everywhere. I am thinking my goats will become self defense when that stuff gets here. I am sure it will get here, just not sure when. It scares me. But, when it is closer I will be proactive, and make lemonade out of those lemons!
    Sounds like the milk will even benefit. But I would never ever try to grow it on purpose.

16. SteelRose

SteelRose Member

I live in Alabama... The stuff is EVERYWHERE here... it reminds me of living up in the pacific nw only there its black berries...good to know that goats will eat kudzu though...

Is there anything else you can do with kudzu?

17. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

in places that already have Kudzu it is worth utilizeing, its a great feed for Goats, Cattle, Sheep, Rabbits, even chickens will eat the leaves, but if you dont already have it DO NOT INTRODUCE it to someplace that its not already, it has alot of uses yes but it also will take over and your neahbors wont like you much for it

18. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

its also used in crafts, you can make baskets and all sorts of other things out of the vine if your of a mind too..

19. farmmom

20. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

My plan was to build cattle panel fence row, like 6-8 ft by however long and plant the kudzu inside it. This would keep the goats from killing it, they could eat it as it tries to escape.

My granpa planted it a long time ago for his goats and they ate it to the ground and then pawed roots up and ate that too and killed it.