Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thought i would share.....this has been the best homemade dried stuff yet...gravel burger.i done this and put in jar.its been sitting in a couple places...living room...lol..and then on pantry shelf for 2 years...maybe longer as i cant find the exact time i done it...but anyhow..i need just a bit of burger to go in pinto beans to make a meal of burger beans.so i decided to try this stuff out.put in water and then in pot to simmer a few minutes...i am cautious...lol...then added to beans..it was fine..better than fine in fact.the one thing i did after frying this was i washed it under hot water in colander to get as much fat off before dehydrating.if it was short term i wouldnt but i want to see how long this can go and still be decent and not just something to shove in ya mouth to survive on.hope this helps somebody out..many videos on youtube about how and why etc to do this.

still dry

re-hydrated

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fried it first...then dumped in colander and washed any small amount of fat off...then put in dehydrator.

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
I love my hamburger rocks (gravel burger - I like that!), but find I have to rehydrate them in advance if the dish I'm cooking takes less than an hour. It's so handy to have them sitting on the shelf and not have to worry about thawing meat. Texture and taste is better than canned, too.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
I've used hamburger rocks for several years, and love them! It's some work to make them, but to have shelf-stable, ready to use, lightweight hamburger is worth it. I've had some for three years that were still perfectly good to eat since all the fat had been rinsed out and I made sure they were completely, perfectly, absolutely dry before storing in a canning jar.

1 cup of dried hamburger will equal 1 lb of raw hamburger for recipes. Also, the hamburger rocks won't cling together for hamburger patties, but they're perfect for tacos, spaghetti sauce, dirty rice, etc.

ETA: buy the leanest hamburger you can find - I get 96/4. But sadly, I noticed yesterday that it's $5.68/lb at Walmart :shocked:

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i just put a lid and ring on tight....vac seal would add to its life i am sure.

·
Lovin' my Fam
4,459 Posts
I wonder if frying it in water- I have done that then rinsing would get more fat off? I am thinking of trying this-
We have alot of hamburger 1 lb packs store at my inlaws- cause it wouldn't fit in the freezer-

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Did you cook it into little pieces or did that happen in drying?

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
after i rinse off the fat , i put it back in a fry pan and fry off all the water, then dry.
This is what I do - fry it until brown (breaking it up into small pieces), rinse in very hot water to get the fat off, then re-fry to dry it as much as possible. Then spread it on the dehydrator tray at 160F until totally dry and crunchy. Without any moisture or fat in it (or just the barest trace of fat, you can't get it all out), there's nothing to spoil.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts