restoring wood cook stove

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by straight shot, Oct 22, 2006.

1. straight shot

straight shot Well-Known Member

I bought an old wood cook stove I would like to restore. The handles and pot warmers need to be re chromed. How do you find such a shop? I live in WI. Also its black and needs to be refinished. I know they have blacking for stoves. But I have a few questions on that product. 1 does it rub off? 2 how long does it last? 3 will it smell bad when the stove is in use?

The stove will not be in use everyday. Just on weekends

TIA

2. blue gecko

blue gecko Well-Known Member

You can pick up stove black in spray cans at the hardware store. I've never had it rup off or smell. It lasts a long time unless there is an area where it gets rubbed. The chrome handles may be able to be refurbished through an musical instrument repair shop or an autobody shop. If that doesn't work ask around for an antique auto club in your area. I'd bet they've found someone who can do it for you. B

3. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

second question, if you dont mind? on same lines? the top on mine where the warming oven bolts to is broken--can it be welded? nice to know on the re-chroming too

4. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

Cast iron is extremely hard to weld. It might be better to have something added and then screwed on. Need a picture to tell. Check with a hotrod type auto shop for a chrome dip company.

5. staceyfb

staceyfb Well-Known Member

Hey Straight,
    Was just wondering where in WI you may have picked that up? Kinda coincidental that we sold one yesterday at an auction in WI and you post about one from WI.
    The one we sold needed restoration also.
    Mind if I ask what you paid for yours? I know what the one sold yesterday at the sale.

6. txtruelady

txtruelady Active Member

I just saw a cook stove yesterday for sale and my DH and I was wondering how to restore it ..... they were asking 400.00.. It wasn't in horrible shape ...Soooooo was that a bad price or not...???

7. straight shot

straight shot Well-Known Member

bought this one a year ago from a antique dealer. It is in working order just needs some prettying up a bit. I paid $400 for it the dealers cash flow was not very good and he needed to pay for the rented space in an antique store, so I offered $400 and he took it. What did you get for yours??

8. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

For chrome, try auto first and they can help with other ideas. Stove black smells the first time and will smoke but after that okay. You may want to fire it up the first time alone with windows open.

9. staceyfb

staceyfb Well-Known Member

Straight,
    I work for my uncle who is an auctioneer. It wasn't mine but it was on the sale yesterday. It was in decent shape but needed to be re-bolacked also. The thermometer still worked and all.
    I was going to buy it and put it on here for sale as I have no use for one as I am stuck in a city for the rest of my life(our city is even trying to outlaw fireplaces).
    It sold for $20. It was mainly a tool auction and the tool guys were not interested in it at all.
    So now we can let the yelling commence. I know I should have bought it but I didn't want to store it.
    I did however buy a portable ice shanty for $1. And a Mirro Pressure canner and a hand made wok(direct from China) for a total of 7 dollars.
    So now I have an old gasketless pressure canner that I have no use for, may just use it as a water bather instead.

10. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

I have used black auto engine paint to black some of my stoves. It seems to hold up very well and does not smoke or stink when the stove gets hot.

11. FarmerJeff

FarmerJeff Well-Known Member

Chances are its nickel, not chrome.

12. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

I have used this product on antique tractors and cast iron stoves as well. :)

http://jbweld.net/index.php

13. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

You might find some of the info you're looking for in these articles:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/DIY/...o_Recycle___Bake_In__A_Wood_Burning_Cookstove

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Home...979_September_October/Wood_Burner_Restoration

At one point in time I made a trade for an old Home Comfort wood stove and loved it. I knocked the rust off it by whacking on it with a wrench and then scrubbed it up good. Never put blacking on the thing -- most of it was white porcelain or enamel or whatever anyway. Part of the cast iron parts in the firebox were missing and "they" told me I'd have to do some fancy stuff with furnace cement etc. I went to a local brick company and got a couple of fire bricks that fit in there just as nice as you please, and used those in there and they worked just fine.

The best part is when you fire up the stove for the first time, and bake a batch of the fluffiest biscuits you'll ever eat, slather them with homemade butter, and stand in front of the nice warm stove, stuffing biscuits in your mouth, with melted butter running up your wrist!! LOL That's some kinda great livin'!

Good luck with the restoration!

MaryNY