Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DH and I have been talking lately about responsibility and the lack thereof. We figure that incidents like Ferguson and political leaders would not be happening if we held individuals accountable for their actions and make them responsible for their decisions. There would also be less taxes put to the rest of us that are NOT to blame for individual's actions. We may even see better political figures and policemen etc if we "the people" held them accountable!

·
Registered
10,900 Posts
Responsibility is a self defining word. It is the ability to respond. Some people do not want to respond. They want someone else to respond for them. This is where our politicians come in. Those who lack the ability or desire to respond will always support those who free them from this obligation.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Have a SIS-In-Law who votes straight party lines. Drives me crazy. I even told her about last election. Romney was being interviewed. Asked about previous years income being $20 mil. He only paid $240,000 in taxes. He did say that he thought it was fair. Yes, I do think he'd have made a better Prez. However, we then would have had to put up with 'the rich get richer' syndrome.

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
I have a 20% philosophy about anything to do with populations of people. It seems that about 20% will always do something, 20% will never do the same thing and the remaining 60% sometimes do and sometimes don't.

For example- 20% of the population will never lie no matter what, 20% will always lie and the remainder will go either way.

It's unfortunately the negative 20% that get all the resources- the 20% who won't learn at school, the 20% who steal egregiously, the 20% who drive repeatedly drunk, the 20% always making poor choices at every turn. The only time their damage stops is when they are too old or too sick to cause trouble anymore. They never change and never admit that, although everyone else seems to cope while they don't, it can possibly be their own fault. It is always someone else's fault. They are just unlucky in their own minds or, more likely, people pick on them.

Now the competent 20% can take care of themselves, the 60% middle road people make mistakes but learn from them. But it's the incompetent 20% who take up the majority of the police time, the emergency services, who are unprepared in any situation, who take up the court funding, etc.

The problem is that social engineers see this phenomenon and think that they can change the problem 20% into the better coping 60% with a little help. They see little differences, only occasional issues. But what social engineers fail to acknowledge is that this problem 20% sees themselves as right, realistic and honest, even in their dishonesty. For them, everyone else has it wrong so they see no reason, no matter how badly their life functions, to change.

I think we need to assume that the problem 20 are born to screw up, simply stop putting resources into trying to change them, and switch the resources into guiding the 60% at an earlier age so they can learn from their mistakes sooner. Spend on the problem people only what is necessary to protect everyone else from their incompetence and let them go. You can't fix them. They will never take responsibility.

·
de oppresso liber
16,876 Posts
Ok this video had a couple naughty (stronger than darn and rear end if you get my drift) words but its not vulgar and it make a great point.

A couple of the I love are (paraphrased here)

'If your neighborhood is messed up, STOP MESSING IT UP.'

'Ain't no rich white man sneaking into the hood at night and spraying graffiti and peeing in the hallways. . .George Bush ain't out on the corner selling crack.

'If you get pulled over for DWB (driving while black) don't get upset at the cops get upset at the brothers who came before you who gave that reputation to blacks.'

·
Premium Member
40,996 Posts
We are all responsible for our own choices... thats a given, carved in stone. What isnt quite so apparent is that more and more people are refusing to accept that responsibility.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I whole-heartedly agree. I know I taught my children and they may hate me for it, but I remind them every chance I can.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts