Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so the bill around here is usually about 120-140, with taxes, fees and whatnot all rolled in. We haven't changed a thing, but this month's bill is twice that.... and 121.00 of it is a "Residential Service Charge". So, still used roughly the same amount of power, it's just the residential, or "Fuel Factor" charge that's killed us. The actual power we used cost us 121.50 with the usual taxes this month, I kid you not, yet I am staring at a bill for $238.52.

I spoke with a couple service people, and we all know how helpful they tend to be. :rolleyes: Seems that Residential Service Charge used to be rolled in, now it's just listed separately. I asked if this was something that was just going to be every few months, but no... every month. We simply cannot afford our power bill to double like this. I conserve power as much as possible, leave lights off, use washing machine only when I have a full load, all that. But whee boy, I think I need a new provider.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Doesn't sound right. Is that TXU or another provider?

I would contact the Public Utilities Commission in Austin and file a complaint if you're unable to get them to reduce the amount. I worked for the PSC in Missouri and we personally answered every complaint and researched it.

Good luck. I'm afraid to look at my next bill...

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah, it's another... and Dh is a tad steamed. We're going to have to do something, just outrageous that our bill has been doubled by a fee... we're actually looking at TXU tonight to see what they can offer us.

·
Zone 7B
2,481 Posts
Oh Jen, I just noticed your location.... could it be -RELIANT ENERGY???!

I was reviewing our past budgets (2002-2006) several days ago (we spent 4.5 years in TX - SE TX and had Reliant.... they more than doubled their fees and raised their rates so many times it was scary!!) Our bills started out at $220.00 and 4 years later, our balanced billing payment was $550.00 a month!!!!! And the last jump was from about $375 to $550 due to fees!!!

Whats a family to do except keeping paying it???? We kept trying to get TXU to get out to us, but they had issues with our location ....

We also monitored our usage very closely.....did everything we could think of to lower the usage... (in fact, several of our bills showed LOWER USAGE but HIGHER TAXES AND FEES) but in the end, they just kept raising rates and raising their FEES..... I am so glad to be free of them!!!!!

Our last electric bill in the PNW was $55.00!! THANK GOODNESS!! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts