Reservist, go see this NOW

Discussion in 'Home Defense/Guns' started by moopups, Jan 16, 2007.

1. independant1

independant1 Active Member

I got caught under something similar. I was called up from IRR and I had only 6 months left. Then I was extended for 1 year. I then mobilized to Iraq and got extended 2 more times. The last one was for up to May 2007. Anyways when we finished our tour (this was may 2004) my paperwork was processed for my honorable discharge I kept my ID to show for proof that they did extend me for that length of time.
    Andy

2. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

All the more reason not to join the reserves.

One more article calling slacking part-timers "citizen soldiers" and I am going to punch someone. thousands of darn good men enlist all the time, but since they are in the real military they are not called citizens?

3. posifour11

posifour11 Well-Known Member

can't get it to work. is there something i need to know?

4. navygirl

navygirl Well-Known Member

I can't read it either, but am assuming it says something about calling up reservists? I'm active so don't know too much about what goes on with reserves but am looking into it since I plan to get out this year. I am considering the IRR. Can anyone tell me how prevalent it is to be called up out of IRR and what jobs are the ones being called up?
    (hope I'm not side-lining a thread)

5. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

NavyGirl- They tailor each reserve unit to fit a specific reserve role.

For example if the local reserve unit focuses on MPs [law enforcement] then MMs, ETs, RMs, DP, QMs, everyone there will pick up the 9545 NEC and train as Law Enforcement. Or else you fit in as a support role, supporting the Law Enforcement folks.

If the reserve unit focuses on field medics then every rate there will focus training on triage and first aid. Or support roles, like stretcher carriers, ambulance drivers, etc.

Just remember that time in the reserves does not count day-for-day towards retirement like active duty does. You can go reserves, but the year will still go by you, and when you are 38, you will not be eligible for retirement. When you are 50, you will not be eligible for retirement.

:)

6. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Apparently the links time of exposure expired, It basically said that the amount of time that a reservest can be required to spend has been exstended. Check with your local vets rep for full and correct info.

7. posifour11

posifour11 Well-Known Member

oh, i'd heard all that.

by the way, i may get my chance yet again. i've been grabbed up by my HQ BN. i'll know someday if they'll take me or not.