Rescued horse Story continued

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by painterswife, Dec 11, 2004.

1. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

I wanted to update every one on "Shasta" the horse I have been taking care of for the last year and a half.

It took a month and a half of legal paperwork but on Monday she offically becomes my horse!!

A good samaritan bought all 7 horses from the original owner at an inflated price. He is now giving them to the people who have cared and rehabilited each horse. All the leins agaist the owner were droped. He has proffited and the horse are in good hands.

I recently saw Shasta's mother( one of the rescued horses). She could not be touched when she was rescued. She is maybe 14.5 hands high and was jumping up and over a 6 foot fence to escape any humans. She can now be ridden and trusts humans again. Shasta regularly jumps a 4.5 foot fence when she decides the grass is better on the other side. The good thing is she never leaves the area

I am very greatfull that Shasta is mine! I don't know if I will be able to keep her( I already have two horses) but right now she is loved and happy. She is a half/draft half quarter horse( we think!) that is now so gentle that I can crawl under her belly and know that she would never hurt me. I have done no training with her, so I have some work ahead of me. She is 2 coming three( we think).

Now for all those people that said we should have helped him rather than take away his horses! Help was offered on many occasions! Hay was delivered to his house for free and he or his family did not bother to
    even through it over the fence to the horses. The Sherrif documented that it sat in the driveway. He turned away help from his family who offered to take the horses to thier place. This all came out in trial. I was not part of that offered help. I did not know about this situation until I read about it in the paper after the horses were seized. I have not profited by getting this horse. her medical care and feed bill was far in excess of what she is worth. I was just a place for her to live and recover while the legal wranglings between the owner and the courts were in process. I am happy I stepped up to the plate to help her. I still can not believe that someone with no contact with these horses gave alot of money so that they did not have to go back. That is the real hero in this story.

2. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

That is awesome. I hope you and Shasta continue to bond and that her training goes a smoothly as possible.

~Christina

3. DreamingBig

DreamingBig Well-Known Member

Great ending to a moving story. I think you deserve a little hero credit too! :)

Chris

4. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

... :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: ...Joan

5. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie "You have to be odd to be number one." Dr Seuss

I'm so glad this worked out for you! I hope you're able to keep her.

Stacy in NY

6. Chuck123

Chuck123 Well-Known Member

:eek: I just read the original thread on this! :eek: I felt as if I was in the twilight zone.....I couldn't even finish. :eek:

Complete Insanity! :eek:

Painterswife, I'm glad that this horse will be treated kindly by you and that it has all worked out well in the end. :) Good luck with her. :)

7. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

Sounds like a "movie of the week", and a good one!

cheers,

8. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

You're a hero in my book.

9. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

I am not the hero. I got so much from this horse that was maybe a year old when I got her. I had only had horses for a few months before that.
    Her fear and sorry state had me learning alot of stuff that would have taken me years to get, with a well trained horse.

I used that technique where you work them in the round pen, running them until they respond in a way that they" get" that you are leader of the pack. It really works!!( and it really works you)

The brand inspector is on the way with her bill of sale to make it legal. One more hour and she is legally mine!

10. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Good for you !

Only one flaw in your story, which I shall point out.

You stated that Shasta has had no training. You can crawl under her belly. Hmmm, my guess is you've been "training" her. You've worked her in the round pen. Hmmm, sounds like training to me. Keep up the gentle training
    :)