Reruns worth watching..

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by minnikin1, Sep 15, 2005.

1. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

I've been so tired in the evenings lately and although we try to limit our tv watching, it can be a nice way to relax - when its worth watching.

Today I was thinking about what used to be my favorite shows.. and how I wish I could look forward to them again.

Oddly enough, mostly British

Did you watch "the Good Neighbors" - the sitcom about the suburban homesteaders?

Or "All creatures great and small"? Once we got used to some of thick accents, this series was a favorite of ours.

"Darling Buds of May.." ; "A Year in Provence" ; "Sherlock Holmes" with Jeremy Brett...

Does your local station run these or are they forgotten in some vault???

2. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

Watched them all and love them. They are not on here right now but you can get them on DVD.

3. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

I love to watch Keeping Up Appearances, and it flows over into our every day life with DH stating "Watching the pedestrians" or "watching out for the fast cars" and it is our own personal laugh time. Love this show.

4. JBourne76

JBourne76 Bathtub Ninja

Everytime we watch Keeping Up Appearances one of us will say, "poor Richard!"

Also, they remind me of my ex in-laws. She nags and he caves.

I love how the vicar tries to hide from her.

5. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Would love to see all creatures great and small.Next to the James Michner(sp) books,those are my absolute favorites.

BooBoo

6. Crystal H

Crystal H Well-Known Member

I love the BBC shows. I find alot of them on netflix and and try to enjoy them(especially without any commercials)

I have also started watching Waltons ( my boys 10, 8 love them too) better than regular TV and a whole lot less offensive. Does anyone elso have any recommendation for good wholesome shows?

have a great one!

Crystal

7. Kellkell

Kellkell Well-Known Member

I used to love Keeping Up Appearances, Absolutely Fabulous, and Are You Being Served? I know I have very strange tastes, I just think that the British shows are just hilarious.

8. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Do you watch Little House on the Prairie also?

I never thought to look for this stuff on Netflix! Great idea, Crystal, thanks!

9. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

Being married to a Brit we have them all! We do not have a cable tv service as I am too cheap- but we have all the BBC dvds.
    I like Good Neighbors.(wish I knew how to make the pea pod wine!)
    My favorite all time is the Waltons and I watch season 1 and 2 all the time.
    I love little Elizabeth and her red hair.

10. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

what happend to the good ones like shot gun slade and rawhide

11. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, we just viewed all the available DVD's of Northern Exposure...still an enjoyable watch--got 'em on Netflix which has tons of old shows and us country folks don't have to waste our gas running to town and back for movies. DEE

12. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

My DH has the Rawhide series on video from Columbia House. He also has Have Gun Will Travel, starring Richard Boone as Palladin. I really enjoyed both of them and they where new to me. Interestingly HGWT was one of my grandfather's, who died before I was born, favorites according to my mother.

I enjoy the British series to. That Hyacinth is funny. I love when her common family comes around and ruins her plans. Are You Being Served is my favorite. It totally reminds me of an old style department store that I worked in. When my cousin was painfully, terminally ill several years ago this was one of the few things that brought a smile to his face, that makes this show special as well.

Of course my all time favorite is LIttle House on the Praire. I have been watching that show since I am 4 years old and loving it. Right now if I was so inclined I could watch it 5 times a day. lol It is on twice in the morning and afternoon on The Hallmark Channel and once at 8 pm on TV Land. I restrain myself from doing that though. The Waltons are also on Hallmark at some point . That is good as well and some of those shows are new to me so that makes it interesting.

13. NYhomesteadr

NYhomesteadr Active Member

The Rat Patrol, Garrisons guerillas

14. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

15. hengal

hengal Well-Known Member

DH & I have been catching "Doc" and "Diagnosis Murder" on Pax TV. No smut, no sex, and what do ya know - God is even mentioned at times. I also really like "Murder She Wrote". Would like to get some DVD's of that show.

(Oh, and of course this doesn't even cover my VHS tapes full of The Andy Griffith Show and I Love Lucy! :sing: )

16. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

My favorite is last of the Summer Wine,my son has been getting the dvd,s from netflix.I love PBS they have the only decent shows.All creatures great and small is on sat evening unctv.
    it looks like the new fall shows on the major networks is another bunch of losers,cant they make a show without sex?

17. Snuffy Smith

Snuffy Smith Well-Known Member

Fawlty Towers. Kung-Fu. Grasshopper....

18. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

I'll second the quality of Northern Exposure. We bought the first and second seasons. We haven't had time to watch them all (We're about 1/3 through the second season) because it seems we're just to busy to watch anything. We pulled the cable plug on the TV five years ago. We haven't bothered to see if it will work with an antenna.

Our self-proclaimed "book freak" teenage daughter loves the quirky plots on Northern Exposure. In an earlier life when I worked nights, I'd watch the reruns on cable from 1-2 a.m. The show was strong until its last season when Dr. Joel left the show and it just seemed to run out of steam.

Some of the subject matter might be too over-the-top for sensitive parents of young viewers. Not dirty or crude, but the writers had free rein to take on any subject.

19. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

I'd forgotten that show! I really liked it, until they did the episode where
    Shelley (was that her name?) couldn't talk, she sang everything...
    What season was that? Maybe we just can't relate to how serious an affliction cabin fever can be?

20. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

It was the last show in the fourth season (the 25th show of the whole run.)

During the same episode, Joel tries to save an ancient tree and the town gets cranky with him when he fails.