Requesting information from our wiccans

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Madame, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a library patron- a teenage girl - who is interested in the Wiccan faith. She comes from a very disfunctional family and needs a good spiritual anchor (and for whatever reason it's not Christianity). Could those of you who are practicioners (sp?) recommend any websites or books? I'm looking for stuff dealing with Wiccan spirituality, not spells and such. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

2. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

I'd recommend the books by Scott Cunningham; those have served me well and would be a great starting point for a seeker. :) Please, tell her to avoid the books by Silver Ravenwolf such as To Ride A Silverbroomstick-this author has done more to harm/warp the reputation of Wicca than just about anyone IMO.
    You can pm me if you'd like a list of titles. :)

I commend you for helping this young person in her spiritual search. :angel:

Kathy

3. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

She is seeking, so why limit her search? A Road Less Travelled, by M. Scott Peck, for instance is spiritual but not religious. Power vs Force, is another. If she decides to become a Wiccan, these types of books will not dissuade her, but will probably help her to seperate the wheat from the chaff.

4. Madame

At this point in time, she is interested specifically in wiccanism. If she should choose to expand her search, I'll suggest those books to her.

5. Burbsteader

Burbsteader Well-Known Member

I second the suggestion of Scott Cunningham.

I regret giving away many of my books. Well they were loaned, but they didn't come back. lol

KY Guest could you PM me the list you have? I have been wanting to restock my library. Thanks.

6. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

I relate alot of what I practice to women's power and spirituality. Perhaps suggest some empowering women's studies as well? I got my start there, and then found continued strength in Earth based religions. That is wonderful of you to encourage her learning. :)

7. grams

grams fiber crone

It is not necessarily Wiccian, but I would recommend Maiden, Mother, Crone: The Myth & Reality of the Triple Goddess: by D.J. Conway.

8. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

I would recommend anything by Scott Cunningham (especially Living Wicca and Wicca: A Guide For the Solitary Practioner) or Raymond Buckland (especially Wicca For One and Wicca For Life). And yes avoid Silver Ravenwolf.

9. FarmGoddess

FarmGoddess Well-Known Member

The Witches God and The Witches Goddess by Stewart and Janet Ferrar.

I'd also be careful. Most teaching circles will not take on a minor student without tons of parental consent. It is amazing how much religion non religious familes can aquire in an extremly short time when confronted by something they don't understand and refuse to even try.

:hobbyhors :hobbyhors :hobbyhors

10. Madame

I'm not saying anything to her about circles, actively participating,etc - just providing basic information. I don't know if her folks would support her in this search or not.

11. Deb862

Deb862 Well-Known Member

This is a subject I have really been wanting to explore more myself and would also welcome any reading suggestions you all might have. Feel free to post here or PM me.

12. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

I am using Raymond Buckland's "Complete Book of Witchcraft". It is well written and easy to understand for novices. It does not reccomend one path over another, but rather examines their differences.

13. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

14. KayJay

KayJay Well-Known Member

Another vote here for the books by Scott Cunningham and The Witches God and The Witches Goddess. Another book that I really love that isn't actually Wiccan but is good for the spirituality is Women Who Run With the Wolves by Clarissa Pinkola Estes.

15. NWoods_Hippie

NWoods_Hippie Well-Known Member

I also recommend the books that Scott Cunningham wrote, I have purchased all my Wicca books through Llewellyn Publishing, their website is:
    http://www.llewellyn.com/
    They also have a great selection of books just for Teens:
    http://www.llewellyn.com/bookstore/teen.php
    However as mentioned above I have and would certainly avoid Silver Ravenwolf's books!!

All in all Llewellyn is just a great "alternative" publisher, if she doesn't get into the whole Wicca thing it is a great resourse to explore other options, ie. Native American, Pagan, etc.
    Also please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Peace,
    Margie