Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is this the same type of box that comes with the bee packages? (The queen should be in a small box with a few workers.) If so, carefully poke a hole in the candy (I use a nail) and place the small box between the hive frames at the top. The bees will eat the candy and release the queen. She should be accepted with no problems as long as there is no other queen.

·
in memoriam
12,697 Posts
I have been told it is impossiable to get a new queen in a colony with a laying worker.
There fore I was taught
(1. remove the laying worker colony from its location.
(2. place a different strong colony in its place.
(3. Set a empty hive in place of the strong colony past location.
(4. place at least 3 frames of brood in it with the caged queen.
(5. Take the laying worker colony about 100 yards away and shake the bees off into the grass. They will fly back to the old location with the strong colony now and the queen in there will be protected from the laying worker killing her.
(6. the now empty frames can be placed where the strong colony came from. Foragers from the strong colony will return and help bring it up to speed quickly.

Hope this helps.

:D Al

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
from what i've read, it is indeed a hard problem to solve. the hive considers the laying worker a queen at this point and will more than likely kill any foreign queen introduced,,,by any method..

you would have to be very lucky, have much patience, and excellent eyesight to be able to find the laying worker. but if you could destroy her. give the hive one, maybe two days for the hive to discover themselves queenless and they will accept the new queen...no longer than two days....the hive is unstable,,,another worker will convert if given too long.

the above method (by alleyyooper) of hive movement sounds to me is a method that would work....but boy,,,it is work..i just remember reading on one of my bee books thats its one of he hardest problems a beekeeper will ever face..sort of general health and desease problems

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
The simplest and easiest way is to give the hive a frame of brood containing eggs. Check for queen cells in one week. If not present, give another frame of brood containing eggs. Check in 7 days. Most times, the second or third frame will be successful and they will raise a new queen.

Even that is too much trouble for me. I just take them apart and shake all bees onto the ground. I put the hive in a safe place and the job is done. The bees will take up with the other hives in the area.

·
in memoriam
12,697 Posts
My ABC XYZ of beekeeping book says there can be more than one laying worker in a hive that is queen less.
It also says that many times there will be a worker laying in a hive which has a queen but the workers eat those eggs since they do have a queen.

:D Al

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.