Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So our winter project this year (provided we don't get a million feet of snow like last year) is to clean up the previous owner's garbage dump in our woods. (Why people buy property and then just dump garbage on it is beyond me but that's another question.) I've noticed that there are a whole bunch of tires back there. They look to be all sizes from car size to huge tractor tires. I like to repurpose items as much as possible. Does anyone have a creative way to repurpose old tires?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Have you seen where people use tires for growing potatoes? As the plant grows you add a tire and more dirt. I haven't tried it yet as I don't have a surplus of tires nor do I want to bring in a bunch for the next owner to have to deal with:gaptooth:

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
We used to see tractor tires laid out as small gardens: not exactly a raised-bed, but sort of. Don't really see that that much any more, but don't know of any reason why not. The tire barrier might slow down some critters and make working it easier, if stacked two high, plus may warm up/stay warm a little longer early & late. You do need to be vigilant about tires that may collect water. They are excellent breeding grounds for mosquitoes.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Here's a couple of site that may give you a few ideas. I didn't see a lot to get excited about, but then I'm not into the decorative stuff.

http://www.diyncrafts.com/5863/repurpose/20-genius-ways-repurpose-old-tires-something-new-exciting/1

https://www.pinterest.com/catmack/repurposed-old-tires/

I am using 6' diameter construction equipment tires for a landscaping /horse project. My area is fairly flat, so I'm going to fill tires with sand and stair step them up to a level area built from stacked/filled tires. DW will be able to ride her horses up the steps and jump from the structure. After I get it built, I'll cover the whole thing with soil and plant grasses on it and bushes around the sides without steps. It should give the DW something entertaining to do with her horse and provide something interesting to break up the landscaping.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Use for chicken dust baths
Fill with cement and use in goats pens for toys and to grind hoofs down when the climb and play on them
Tire swings
Bury in soil upright for goats to play on or children to play on
Put feed and or water troughs in side tire for pigs so they can't move them
Stack up and use a backing behind a target
Cut in 1/2 and use as driveway border
Stack up and plant tree inside, will protect tree from animals and provide warmth and protection as tree grows

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Stack tires stuffed with dirt on top of each other to build a retaining wall or back stop for you rifle range. You could hammer sharpened re-bar through the tires vertically to reinforce the retaining wall.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Keep quiet about what you are doing with tires, and keep your projects out of sight. It's just a matter of time (and gossip) until several government agencies are "down your throat" about your use of your tires.

The countryside is full of folks who just came from the cities. They brought their life style and their agencies with them. They are very happy to tell you how you should live and do your business.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Keep quiet about what you are doing with tires, and keep your projects out of sight. It's just a matter of time (and gossip) until several government agencies are "down your throat" about your use of your tires.

The countryside is full of folks who just came from the cities. They brought their life style and their agencies with them. They are very happy to tell you how you should live and do your business.
Nah, the neighbors around us are live and let live kinds of people. They couldn't care less what we do. Besides, the only recent transplants from the city are us and we don't care what they do as long as they don't bother us or burn the place down. My neighbors in the city are much more troublesome and I can't wait until we can move.

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
Here's a link to a gal's blog who created a "tire garden". I've already done the search, so the link goes directly to her posts on the subject. Lots of pictures too.
http://www.rural-revolution.com/search?q=tires

In a nutshell, they put the tires down over old billboard vinyl, then covered the exposed vinyl with crushed rock. Filled the tires with soil/compost. With the tractor tires her husband used a sawszall to cut them in half, making 2 beds. Very neat operation!

She has a really good site, very homesteading oriented. It's worth a look in general too.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I made a pasture drag with old tires. I lag screwed four tires to a 4x6 and added some eyes to attach a chain to.
I use it to break up and spread manure in the pasture. I also have chained it behind my disc to smooth out a seed bed.

I tried drilling holes in the tires to let rain water drain out, but the rubber seals up.

I like the rifle backstop idea. Used tires also are popular for starting burn piles ablaze, but not so good for air quality.

My father in law has an auto salvage yard, and the tires are the only part of a car he considers waste.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Nah, the neighbors around us are live and let live kinds of people. They couldn't care less what we do. Besides, the only recent transplants from the city are us and we don't care what they do as long as they don't bother us or burn the place down. My neighbors in the city are much more troublesome and I can't wait until we can move.
Be patient.:coffee:

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Someone posted pic on Poultry thread of a simple way to
make waterers. Cut a tire in quarters. Then it's like a crescent.
You got 4 poultry waterers. Just screw in a flat small board
on each end to hold it upright. After seeing this I'm going to
make some for next year. It would be good if water freezes
since the rubber won't shatter by banging it.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys for all the ideas. We'll see what the condition of the tires is when we dig them out from all the rubble. I like the idea of stuff for chickens. Will be getting some eventually.

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
Here the farmers take the big tractor tires and make big cow feeders. Dang near indestructible with a herd of angus.

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
I've used a lot of tires. I have some pics here. Now I have had issues with the sandbox tires attracting black widows. I'm going to have to dismantle it next year I believe. But the plants I have growing in the tires all did well. I did the potato towers out of tires. I have cut many a tire up for many things. The sidewalls that I have cut out I have reused as an edging around various plants. I put them around young trees and then fill the centers with rocks. No pics of that but it works very well. Also, if you cut the sidewalls out of a tire and then cut the tire tread in half you have a very long bit of durable rubber siding to put on a building or to use as a roof. :) I have some tires completely uncut that I have around very very very young trees so I remember where they are planted and to help shelter them from the weather. Tires are pretty useful! Also, if you stack them and fill them with dirt and then some cement you can use them for goats as entertainment and hoof grinding. :) I've got one started for my future goats!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
You can cut up a tire and make a horse swing out of it. I don’t know the pattern, but the kids love them.

Reactions: BlueRose

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Periodically drop one somewhere along the road until you get rid of them - the township will take care of cleaning them up - :lonergr:

·
zone 5 - riverfrontage
6,819 Posts
Our carport has three large vehicle bays, and two narrow bays on each side. The posts each have a tire in front with a rose bush or onion chives planted in them.

My wife has a bad time backing, she has nailed the walls of previous garages a few times in her attempts to back in. So I wanted to have stacked tires in front of each post to save my posts. This way, they are planters :)

We have done potatoes before.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts