Repowering a wd

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by PyroDon, Jan 5, 2007.

1. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

I am seriously thinking of repowering my WD allis
    the allis engine runs but is using oil and when figuring a total rebuild sleeves and all it would be pushing $2000. Even with the hp upgrade it would still be under what Im after.
    What Im looking to do is make a adpter plate to match both the motor and tractor trans out of 1/2" plate and have the tractor flywheel redrilled and balanced to the engine .
    The engine Im planning to use is a straight line 6 ford 300cid .
    a belt driven governor off a combine will be used as well . I plan to set the max rpm at around 2400 which is comparable to the 4cylinder currently in the tractor. I figure this should give me roughly 75 to 80 hp .
    I would rather find a diesel engine to replace it with but funds are short and I have the ford handy.
    This wont be a tractor pull project but a working machine .
    Do any of you have any expearience in repowering old iron ?

2. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I think 2400rpm is much faster than the OEM 4cyl in a WD. Cant remember but think they top out at like 1300rpm, maybe even slower, would have to go look in my wd manual. Ford 300 is very torquey engine and developes max torque like 1200rpm and could be happy set to run at max of say 1500 rpm and they will slow idle down around 400rpm with good carb. I think I mentioned in another thread somewhere that I am curious if you do this to post how well it works. I have an old wd that I put a wc engine into. The wc engine is rather underpowered to say the least. But I think the frame would need to be lengthened just to make room for a straight six?? Maybe it could be shoehorned in. Have you thought of adapting a Ford bellhousing to the AC tranny? Use Ford flywheel and pressure plate and AC clutch disc and throw out bearing. Probably have to custom make a pilot bushing unless you can find a pilot bearing that would fit both Ford crank and AC tranny input shaft. I cant remember size of AC clutch disk, you might have to use AC pressure plate and center it and drill/tap new mounting holes in ford flywheel.

3. PyroDon

You may have a point on the rpm I to need to check my manual somehow I thought it was 2100 at full throttle for the gas engines.
    I shouldnt have to lengthen the frame but will need to mover the radiator to the front over the steering gear box (though to be honest Im toying with the idea of putting a wide front conversion and power steering on) Of course if the frame does need lengthened the channel is fairly easy to find .
    the reason I am considering the 1/2" plate adapter and using the tractors flywheel is that I can retain the starter and avoid modifying the tranny.
    This is the method they used to put the Buda diesels on the WD 45s .
    Ive got the 300 mounted currently on a partial pickup frame , may put an after market RV cam in it to provide even more low end touque and help it idle a bit slower . I can complete rebuild it for about $175 which is one reason for the planned switch. another is the WD motor doesnt like our old geil flail mower .
    I think the hardest part is going to be lining everything up . mounting the flywheel and even milling the throwout bearing wont be that difficult .
    Once its all together and working I plan to pull it back apart and have a couple more plate adpters made . I can get old none running wds and 45s for a couple hundred if I can repower them easily they would be worth the investment . It will be a summer project after planting but I'll be sure to get plenty of pics .

4. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

An interesting proposal to be sure. Just a thought - Many older combines have good engines on them, yet the entire combine sells for scrap iron price because they are simply too small, too old, or just plain obsolete.
    Perhaps you could arrange a marriage of a Gleaner engine with your tractor?
    Anyways, look forward to hearing more on the outcome of this project. Good luck.

5. PyroDon

That would be the simplest thing to do but Ive been looking for a gleaner engine to fit it for three years with no luck. I can find plenty of old JDs with herculies engines(40hp) but the gleaners were 50hp

6. Jim&Chele

Jim&Chele Well-Known Member

goto www.ytmag.com get on the AC discussion boards and ask those guys about mods to make the wd get more hp.I have heard and don't remember every detail but think it was that the sleeves and pistons out of a d-17 or something like that would fit the wd(wd45 maybe not really sure)and give it plenty of hp.Worth a look anyway

7. PyroDon

Yeah you can gain 5HP with the over sized sleeves but to completely rebuild the engine over sized sleeves pistons,new bearings gaskets , new valves valve job it comes up to around $2000 with materials and machine shop . I did it with the wd-45 and never recouped the cost

8. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

most people reengine with the gleamer e3 engine, basically a bolt in after you change the tractor governor into the e3 engine. both made by ac.