Replanting Pasture after burnoff?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moonwolf, Oct 7, 2004.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

In the spring it's common practice in this area to burn grass or mixed open pasture. It helps regenerating and also reduces fire hazards in dry years. Kills a lot of rodents, too.
    I've never considered if it would be wise to plant some grass pasture seed without need of cultivation after a burn off. The ash also might help as nutrient?
    My question is what seed would work best if one tried doing this. In this area grows red and sweet clover, birdfoot treefoil, and such. The old 'pasture' area now is a mixed hodgepodge including quite a bit of red clover in one area and on the north seems to be quite a bit of trefoil. What would be a good mix, assuming one would want to keep horses or cattled there at some time later?

2. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

I'm not sure but i think horses can founder if they eat to much clover. Might want to check into that! With that said i no we have had a lot of cover grow in our pastures before with no ill affects to the horses.I think it depends a lot on the horse some are a little to found of it.

We plant a lot of tall fescue here. And a couple of other things to but i cant recall what they are at the moment.

3. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Before you do the burn have the local County Ag Agent come out and give you a recommendatio on a mix. You might consider renting a sod seeder (check at local farmers' co-op). You will get a better stand than if the seed is just mixed in with fertilizer.

Ken Scharabok

4. poorme

poorme Well-Known Member

my guess is that the existing grass would quickly regrow and shade out any new seeding.