Replanting corn?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Leay, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Leay

Leay Well-Known Member

I was just down to the lower garden and it appears that the deer had a feast last night. About half of my corn is eaten off about 4 inches above the ground. We have some cattle panels that will be going around the garden today but my question is...

Some of the eaten corn still have a couple of leaves. Will they keep growing or should I replant all the chewed off stalks? I have never had a problem with corn until it had ears on it and then the racoons like to get into it. Maybe it wasn't even deer but the stalks don't look gnawed on, just clipped right off..
    Thanks for any help!
    Leay

2. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd leave it and see if it regrows. I would think that it would, and if you restart now you are considerably behind. Just my thought.
    mary

3. Leay

Leay Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply, Mary. I think I am going to wait and see what it does. At least they weren't cut off right at the ground. We don't have a real long growing season here in Wisconsin so replanting probably wouldn't be in my best interest.
    Leay

4. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

I went ahead and replanted corn last week, just used the shorter season seed I had left.

Between birds and squirrels and bunnies (lions and tigers and bears?), I have had a rough year of it. There's so much food this year that the little blighters are really reproducing.

Oh,well. THat's gardening for you. Every year, a different challenge.

Pony!

5. Leay

Leay Well-Known Member

Geez, isn't that the truth, Pony? We have a kitchen garden in our front yard and a bigger garden down in the pasture. We just got the kitchen garden in shape after being attacked by bunnies (electric fence) and now I have to patrol the lower garden. DH checked on the internet and found a recipe that the park service uses to keep deer out of areas that they are replanting. He mixed up a batch of home made stuff and sprayed it on the remaining corn stalks. We'll see how it works....

Oh, the mixture is one gallon of water and 6 eggs mixed together. Apparently the smell of rotting eggs turns off deer....

It should be fun hoeing that sucker after a few days!
    Leay

6. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Corn can be frozen off at ground level and grow back if it was under 8" tall. I think the same would apply here as long as the grow point is still there.

7. Leay

Leay Well-Known Member

I think I am going to wait and see with the corn, James. I think it was probably around 6 or 7 inches high when they snipped it off and I still have about 3-4 inches left, alot with a couple of leaves still on it. I love looking at deer...just not in my garden :)

Leay

8. bgraham

bgraham Well-Known Member

So glad you asked this question! I just had the same thing happen (only it was the goats). I, too, was considering replanting. My first frost isn't until October so I think I have time. But given the responses, I think I'll just see how it goes.

Good luck and I hope it grows back!

Beth

9. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

I planted a 92 day corn on June 28. They're planted in bunches rather than rows. If we're going to get a hard frost I'll throw seeds over them.

10. Leay

Leay Well-Known Member

Good luck with your corn too, Beth! I tend to have problems with corn, whether it be deer, racoons etc. Maybe I'll actually have some to can this year :)

Robin, I'm interested in the corn that you plant in bunches. Does it stand up to wind better than rows? The last couple of years, we have had big storms that have knocked half of our corn over right after it tasseled.

I think I'd be better off just planting all zuchinni...you can't kill that stuff!
    Leay

11. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

I don't have enough of this particular corn seed to get good pollination if I put them in rows. By planting them in circles they pollinate well because they're close together. I haven't had a problem with wind in bunches, but I don't usually have a problem in rows either. We seldom have high winds.

12. hengal

hengal Well-Known Member

Leay -

If you have to replant you should still be able to. I'm in zone 5 and our horticulture planting calander from Purdue says we can still plant corn for harvest up until July 10th. I'm going to try and get some out this weekend. :)

13. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Woo-Hoo!

Are you zone 5a or 5b?

Oh, well, either way, I'm 5a, so I can get some more corn out there. Yippee!

THANKS!

Pony!

14. Leay

Leay Well-Known Member

Just an update on the corn situation, all. Since I first started this thread, the chewed off corn has caught up with the others and looks just fine. The egg/water trick seems to have worked as we haven't had anymore midnight raids. Now if the storms and wind hold off, I may just get to can some corn this year!
    Leay