Replanting a strawberry bed - need help please..

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by hengal, Jun 27, 2006.

1. hengal

hengal Well-Known Member

I have a strawberry bed that is planted in one of those 3 level pyramid thingies I ordered through a catalog. The plants are two years old and produced pretty well this year. I didn't do anything with the runners this year, just left them. My question is - I'd like to take this dang ugly thing down and transplant the strawberry bed into a "normal" bed. Is there a better time when I should dig these plants up? These are Ozark Beauty, which is an everbearer. I'd like to be able to get this done so I have good production next year in the new bed.
    Whats the best way/timing to do this?
    Thanks! :)

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

If you can reach the new bed with a garden hose, tommorow would be a good time to transplant them. The important thing is to get a good clump of dirt with each plant. We set out a row two weeks ago, and they are growing like mad. We made a little hole about 4 inches deep, then took the little shovel over and pried up a berry plant, then took it to the hole. After packing dirt around the reset plants, we watered them right away, and again the next few days.