replacing windows in old barn

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by prairiecomforts, Aug 3, 2006.

1. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts Well-Known Member

I am going to be moving soon and went today to really look the new place over. There is a very old barn on the place that is in pretty tough shape but is still usable my sheep. The windows are all okay except on the east side where two of them are broken out. here is my problem - the window frames are not straight. They are very crooked and I don't know how I am going to fix them. I thought about maybe having plexiglass cut and then srewing the pieces to the inside of the window frame. I don't know - has any one else dealt with this and if so what did you do? It dosn't really have to look good - just keepp the wind out.Thanks in advanace!

2. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd suppose that would work, however my bigger question is WHY the frames are so out of square. Take a good look at the frame of that barn to make sure it isn't about to do a big tumble on you. Posts rotted off? Braces broken off or non-existent? You might check that the entire building isn't racked. First make sure the building is stable, then fix the windows, THEN put your stock in it.

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Its easy to install smaller windows, just make up the smaller frames and install with shim shingles and appropiate cribbage. Check the building back bone, the roof peak cener line, if its sagging this may be a real problem.

4. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Take out the old frames.Nail in 2x2's around the inside of the opening.Put in a piece of Plexiglass,and nail more 2x2 around the out side of the frame.
    Sandwiching the Plexiglass between the 2x2 frames.

Running screws into or tight against the Plexiglass might cause it to crack.