Replacing the seal around the freezer section of my refrigerator

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by vicky, Nov 29, 2005.

1. vicky

vicky Well-Known Member

We had the same thing happen several yrs back and before we were able to replace one of the local repair shops told us how to fix our fridge door if it's warped.
    Our door bowed out at the bottom corner. What we did was, was to open it part way stick a foot at the bottom corner of the fridge and gently pull at the top of it. Then it was bent back to where it should be. You may be able to do the same with the freezer door if it's having the same problem.
    hth

2. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

Thanks-tonight I'm trying the foot to the freezer method!! :D

If that doesn't work, I'm going to try replacing it. But first, I'm going to try something I thought about today as I was caulking windows. There's door seals that you can buy by the roll-foam with a sticky backing. There's a very thin one that might just be the right thickness for this air leak. It's cheap enough so it's worth a try and if nothing else I can always use it on my entry door! ;)

One way or another I'm going to get that leak fixed-even though it's not running up the electric bill that heavily-the ice buildup in that part of the freezer is bugging me to no end! :grump:

3. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

If you're looking for a quick fix that will last for a while, clean the gasket behind the flap touching the door with warm or hot sudsy water, being careful to not enlarge a tear in the gasket if there is one. Clean as many times as its take to get the nasties out (sometimes the screws holding the gasket on rust) Carefully dry the section with a towel or paper towel then take your caulking gun and fill that section of the gasket, behind the flap, with caulking. Clean up any messes and drips as you go.

In effect, what you'll be doing is filling the gasket so it will expand and if there is a tear, closing that tear, that lets the gasket shrink. An unnoticable tear or separation in the gasket lets warm air in the freezer and causes icing in the area of the leaking gasket.

4. Lindafisk

Lindafisk Well-Known Member

If anyone is interested, I read that to test the seals for air leakage you should close the door on a dollar bill and pull on it-of it comes out of the door easily the seal is weak and needs to be replaced. Anyone else hear this? I think it was Dear Abby where I read it.

5. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

We don't get dollar bills in our part of the world. We have coins instead! So a piece of paper has to do the job of testing a fridge or freezer seal - and it does it perfectly well!

I had to replace the seals on the freezer section of my upside down fridge/freezer just a month or so ago. It cost me $AUS95. Expensive, but well worth it, because my freezer was icing up badly, and the food was going off. Electricity bill was no joke, either, because the power was working overtime.

Don't muck around. Any respectable fridge repair place will have lots of rubber sealing to fit any fridge, modern or ancient. There are generic types. A handyman can do the job, but you need to know what you're doing - if the rubber isn't set right, or if there are hills and dales on the fridge door, you've got problems. The rubber also needs to be 'trained' to sit properly, or it will never function well. The tradesman will show you how to do this. But in brief, it involves looking carefully to see how the rubber sits. When first put on, it often tends to fold under as you close the door. You need to get a blunt knife and run it down (or across as the case may be) to flip out the folded-under section. Ideally, you should leave a fridge door closed for at least an hour after installing new seals. If there are valleys in the fridge door, you will need to screw on something to fill out the space under the rubber. In my case, it was a thin strip of aluminium. It needs to be JUST the right thickness, so once again, it's a good reason to call in the professionals. It's false economy to ignore this sort of problem.