Replacing/repairing sash windows

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Oceanrose, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Oceanrose

Oceanrose Driftin' Away

My boyfriend and I are down in Iowa at my house. He wants to repair the sash window that's broken. Anyone have any hints? The bottom of the frame has broken away from the screws, and the bottom pane of glass needs to be replaced.

Help!! :help:

2. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

3. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

4. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

Can you show us a picture or two?
    What is the age of the sash, or the age of the house?
    This is typically SIMPLE and EASY to repair if you don't mind spending the time. Amost always pretty inexpensive.
    I am always happy to help, but would like more info or pics.
    clove

5. Oceanrose

Oceanrose Driftin' Away

No pictures but the house was built in 1919.

As an update, after 4 hours finding a place to buy glass on a Saturday in rural IA, we've ended up with both windows semi-repaired but silly me, mismeasured (Sssshh!!) and we'll have to fix the other one with a bigger piece. Kevin also located all the storm windows, and actually made a lot of progress. Tomorrow, we're back there to clean more, and to put up the storm windows... PLUS there's a problem with the plaster (note to follow..)

6. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i know money is always tight for everyone. i read the thread about alternative energy and such, and i think you should consider replacing those windows with double pane windows when you get a chance. during a remodel project, i had the chance to insulate the exterior walls and replace the windows with double pane vinyl windows. it makes such a big difference that it is hard to describe. it is hard for me to believe. that room actually holds heat now. when the house is generally cold and i walk into that room (i keep the door shut) i am always surprised at how much warmer it is. i know the insulation helps, but i am sure the new windows help dramatically.

7. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

it does make a big differance when we did our old house we did not scrimp on insulation and made shure to replace all windows and doors

8. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

The storm windows will help tremendously. Make sure that you store them up off the ground when/if you remove them, assuming they are the wood type. The wood storm windows will wick moisture if you store them sitting on the ground.

As for the plaster, it is super easy and cheap to repair. I already have a detailed 'how to' on homesteading today. Let me know when you need it...for some reason it is difficult to find.
    clove

9. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

I sent you a PM.
    clove