Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, 1984 Ford F 150 two wheel drive-replacing Radius Control Arm Bushings. Anyone know a good website with drawings to explain how to do this? Thanks, Daryll in NW FLA

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
This is accomplished by useing a bolt more than twice as long as is the bushing with a couple washers and a nut, last is a suitable socket (diameter). The bolt with its large diameter is inserted through the hollow core, a socket that will pull through the opening is added, the socket must clear the inside of the tunnel but not clear the bushing, it must have major contact with the bushing. Add a second washer above the socket and then the nut, this works best with fine thread, draw down on the nut until the bushing moves. Some applications require heat to work, such as a propane torch.

This is accomplished after the male stem is removed with a tie rod seperator or a ball joint seperator. Either of which cost about $10.00 at your local rip off auto parts dealer, measure the size before going shopping. Say hey to your boss for me!! Remember I met her......!! :haha:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
moopups said:
This is accomplished by useing a bolt more than twice as long as is the bushing with a couple washers and a nut, last is a suitable socket (diameter). The bolt with its large diameter is inserted through the hollow core, a socket that will pull through the opening is added, the socket must clear the inside of the tunnel but not clear the bushing, it must have major contact with the bushing. Add a second washer above the socket and then the nut, this works best with fine thread, draw down on the nut until the bushing moves. Some applications require heat to work, such as a propane torch.

This is accomplished after the male stem is removed with a tie rod seperator or a ball joint seperator. Either of which cost about $10.00 at your local rip off auto parts dealer, measure the size before going shopping. Say hey to your boss for me!! Remember I met her......!! :haha:
Hey Mitch, I don't think we are talking about the same part-this goes from the I-beam to the frame. I was hoping some one had a website with illustrations -it looks pretty straight forward but never hurts to be prepared! Loretta says "HI"

·
Registered
31 Posts
The radius arm is the one that goes towards the back of the truck.
The radius ram bushing is the rubber part that goes between the radius arm and the bracket on the frame.
The I-beam (traction beam for 80s and up) goes from the spindle to the cross member under the engine.

The radius arm bushing is easy. There should be on big nut on the end of the radius arm. Jack up the truck, take the big nut off and take the washer and the bushing off. Pull the front suspension assembly forward enough to get the radius arm through its bracket and replace that bushing. Push the radius back through its bracket and put the new bushing on then the washer and the nut.

Took about three hours to my '79 would have been easier if it jacket it up too.

here pic of a radius arm, see the red radius arm bushing.
http://home.earthlink.net/~bigbronco/Images/ramp1_front_driveshaft.jpg

the black arm in this pic is the traction beam (I-beam for 79 and earlier).
you can see a custom made radius arm too.
http://www.off-road.com/ford/zim/mods97.jpg

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi danielbrown, Thanks, that was the info I was looking for. Daryll in NW FLA

1 - 5 of 5 Posts