replacing faucet

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by okgoatgal2, Jul 7, 2006.

1. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

don't have time to do a search of this forum. simple question:

do i need to put that teflon tape stuff around the new faucet things where the nuts attach the water supply? it is leaking after i tighten the nut-thinking i need either tape or new supply line from the shut off to the faucet itself.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Plumbing fixtures have tapered threads, they are designed to be leak proof by adding more pressure to the tightening. Teflon tape cannot hurt, but should not needed. Is this metal to plastic, metal to metal, ect?

A 'faucet wrench' may be needed, its a crescent shaped device, on a rod; it flips to either side to fasten or unfasten the nut at the end of the supply line. About $4.00 or up at any hardware store. Get the cheap one, you will only probably use it two or three times per life unless your in the trade.

3. okgoatgal2

the nut and the part i'm screwing the nut onto are both metal. the water tube is plastic. not sure how old the supply line is.

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

Is there a plastic oval shaped ring that slides over the supply line inside of the nut? If you have one supplied with the supply line install it inside the nut after inserting the line, then reassemble the unit.

5. okgoatgal2

no, mitch, no washer. the supply line is the existing one. the faucet was leaking all over the place, old as the hills, so we've bought a new one, and i'm trying to get it in, so i can do dishes. i got it as tight as i could-maybe i just don't have that nut tight enough? but i honestly couldn't get it any tighter, and i'm not exactly wimpy in my hand and lower arm strength....

6. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

Its not a washer, look up 'ferrel', its a curved ring that is needed over the supply line inside of the nut, the old one may have been lost during the disassembly. The spelling may be ferruel, not sure of this one.

Look at the bottom of the old faucet, some times they stick there. Both the inside contact surfaces of the faucet and the nut should appear tapered, if not disregard this info.

7. okgoatgal2

thanks, mitch. i think i got it. i'll ask my dad to come check it later, he's just not answering his phone. another thing i can add to my "i can do it" list :)

8. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

For ease I would replace the existing supply line with a new one which has o-ring seals.....pretty much foolproof....

9. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

The correct spelling is 'ferrule'.