Replacing brass plumbing - any value?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MikeD, Nov 3, 2005.

1. MikeD

MikeD Well-Known Member

Over the last few years I've had the usual plumbing repairs to make around the house. As a result I've now got 5-10 pounds of brass pipe lying around waiting for it's next life. Any idea if it's worth anything in weight or should it just be recycled?

2. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

It might be worth a few cents or dollars - call your local scrap metal dealer and ask!

3. lewbest

lewbest Well-Known Member

last brass i sold was 80 something cents a pound. copper bout 1.60 a pound. wotthwhile if you have a scrap yard nearby!

Lew

4. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

You should save it and take it to a place where they buy it. DH does plumbing and saves all his old junk and what people want him to haul off, took it to the recycle place and got $85.oo. Now i tell him to bring more junk home.

5. lewbest

lewbest Well-Known Member

to resubscrobe to notifications; clicked on wrong link :(

6. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

It does have scrap value. A few pounds may or may not pay to drive the miles to a scrap dealer, lot depends on where you live.

Another good use for it is to melt it down yourself. Nice for tinkering around the house and trying to make replacement parts or new stuff. Sort of in the home hobby foundry area. Ain't that difficult to remelt and pour. Many new methods being used by the home foundry guys. One neat method is the lost foam. You make the pattern out of foam board or something similar and pack sand around it. With brass you can even try plaster molds.

Lots of web sites dealing with home foundry operations.

I sold all my scrap metals before moving. Wish I had kept the brass and copper and even a lot of the aluminum. Want to get more into the home foundry down the road.