Replacing Books

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moonwolf, May 26, 2005.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

The recent house fire and contents loss did a complete number on all the books I had. There was a lot of gardening, small stock, and farmstead type of books, popular science encyclopedia, Rodale's books, etc.
    At some point the insurance that covered this loss will allow me to get at least some of my 'library' back. I haven't joined a gardening book club or something similar about farmsteading, but thought this might be a good way to consider obtaining them.

What book clubs are you happy with in selecting books you would buy such as Organic Gardening, Rodale, etc? I'm not that huge of a fan using Amazon or one of the on-line book suppliers, but maybe that is a better option to get more 'bang' for your buck? Any opinions?

2. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

Our home burned way back in 1983 (from an electric short behind the clothes dryer----don't have a dryer now!) so I know how it feels to loose your library....my books were my long-time friends!

I would suggest listing some of your favorite books here and see if some have them in good condition they would sell fairly inexpensively....I've gotten several books I've needed here lately like that. best wishes!

3. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

Listing what you want on the barter board would be a good start.

I use Amazon but only buy the books from the used section. I've gotten some $30 books for $4!

There's also Ebay if you are comfortable with their auction service.

4. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I am not a fan of books clubs. Haven't had good luck with them, think they're very very overpriced for poor quality books (lousy paper and binding) and, if you do find something at a good price, they'll get you on shipping.

Although I do really like Columbia DVD club.

These days, I get most of my books through Amazon, Barnes and Noble online and Abe Books --- and another one I can't think of. Just found a very rare book in near-fine condition at an extremely good price through Abe, as a matter of fact - I got it as a present for someone and, with shipping, it cost me around $18. All other suppliers, it was running over $50. !

So if it were me in your shoes, I'd replace my books through Amazon, B and N online, Abe Books and that other one I can't think of. Only buy from sellers on Amazon with great feedback, however. Ebay and half.com can also be good sources for specific items.

5. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

Hamilton Booksellers is another source of cheap books on gardening, homesteading and farming topics.

6. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

I've used the Abe books and I think it's called half.com or close to that. They are used books but very nice. They explain what condition they are in and are honest. I've used the amazon used for videos I've wanted for school, too.

7. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

www.alibris.com

It searches the various sources online and gives you all the prices asked at each place.

8. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I get stuff of of half.com all of the time, they have been great for me. Do you have a Half Price Books up there or across the border? I got some of the Raising (insert animal) the modern way for $5 there a few weeks ago. Scored: Goats, Ducks, Rabbits, all on the same trip. I love HPB, a LOT!

holly

9. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

www.bookcloseouts.com

google "bookcloseouts coupon" and usually like $5 off 35 or 10 off 50. I have purchased alot of books from them....one happy customer!

I'm sorry you lost so much in the fire....hope no one was hurt!

10. T.C.

T.C. Active Member

11. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

not sure if there is a Canada half price book club, but it's no problem ordering from the states for books to come here. We have Chapters and another big outlet that competes with them, and then there is Amazon.ca. Most compare good pricing on new books. I know that some of the books I lost would be out of print, so I may check in at the barter board here for some titles I might want.

Thanks all for the ideas. They will be good sources I will investigate to replace some of my book collection.

12. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Just got new hardback copies of Cormac McCarthy's 'Border Trilogy' for $22/including shipping. Can't beat half.com if they have what you are looking for. Father's Day gift for my dad, what a bargain!

hollym

13. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

I like www.bookfinder.com because they search all the other online services. I only buy from booksellers I can contact via telephone (talk to a live person) and pay with a m.o.

14. Ed K

Ed K Well-Known Member

I agree with Darren about www.bookfinder.com. You can use them to find most any book you need. The unfortunate thing for you since you're trying to replace everything at once is that most of them will be listed from individual bookshops. In that case search the harder to find ones nd see if those vendors also have the easier to find ones too. powell's books in Oregon (i THINK) is a pretty good one too and will have many titles.

Most of the vendors will give you a shipping discount if you're shipping more than one book at a time.