Replacing a rolled roof

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by katydidagain, Oct 16, 2004.

1. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

It's been too many years since I've done one. The tedious tearoff went well - on a 17 x 11 roof DS and I pulled out 2 lbs of nails -- many 3' sections had them "1" apart -- no, I didn't install those 3-4 layers of roof cement and whatever-- I think the last layer was felt and, yes, it was leaking! It was all broom clean when a sudden storm necessitated the day's end...

Thank goodness for a brief reprieve but I can't walk away now. I'm a bit stumped. Simple shed with maybe 20 degree pitch. Plan is to replace bad wood/trim, flash edges, install drip edge on drain side (gutter is overkill), felt (from lowest edge to highest point) and button up in same direction. Am I proceeding correctly? Any caveats? Hints? Do I roll over flashed edges (my father did this instead of flashing) or cut straight at sides? How to secure that top course section? I searched for a simple "how to guide" to no avail.

Help! DS, father and brother think I know what I'm doing; I would love to keep them among my admirers. :haha:

katy

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

From what I gleaned from your post you are proceeding properly. The roofing will protrude over all flashing and wood by about an inch.

3. SRSLADE

SRSLADE Well-Known Member

tar the hell out of about 3 feet of roof, drip edge included.put down 1st couse of roofing . tar hell out of top of sheet without stone. put down next sheet stone to stone. nail. as much as you want on part without stone.tar the hell out of top of sheet without stone. apply next sheet stone to stone. etc, etc, etc. when you get to top piece you only need the part with stone. tar hell out of it and stick it down.

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Assumeing this is mineral surfaced rolled roofing which is 3 foot wide and 33 feet long per roll. Roll out your material and cut with a couple of inches to spare, it goes over the metal trim strips. Make sure the material is warm but not laying all day in the sunshine hot. First piece gos to the bottom edge of the roof, the top is nailed about every 4 inches except the ends which are not yet nailed. Get a 5 gallon bucket of trowel installed tar, have someone hold the bottom of the sheet from the top as it is flip over on its self,careful, it can rip. Apply the tar about 1 inch up from the edge of the roofs surface for 4 to 6 inches, also apply it tothe ends where it will be under the material. Flip back the sheet and nail the ends. Now use a chalkline or similiar mark the top 4 inches of the top of the first sheet. Install and nail the second sheet above the first haveing its bottom come to the marked line, again flip, install tar, repeat until you have covered the roofs surface.

For rooves that have two sides, just overlap the material at the peak, if its only needs part of a roll to cover cut the strip so you get the 4 inches on both sides. Again apply the tar as above only on the second side nail it where the nails will be seeable about every 6 inches or so. These nail heads can be then covered with tar or color caulking.

Any horizonal splices can be done with the tar also, justallow about 18 inches of over lap. When you buy the tar also buy some mineralspirits or packaged hand cleaner as well as a cheap disposable trowel. Your not a real roofer unless you get a glob of tar in your hair and on your hands. The hand cleaner 'gojo' works as a first shampoo for this problem, just use a regular shampoo afterwards. Remember to trim the sheet parallel with the outside edge of the metal trim strip with a replaceable blade utility knife.

5. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

Well, it's done except for a bit of buttoning up; wood replacement took forever so at 7:30 PM it was too dark to "see" much less nail the last course but we weighted the top section so the next 2 days of rain shouldn't hurt anything. I'm always amazed at how long a simple project takes; aren't you?

Thanks to all the advice and wonderful links, my status as "superwoman" stands! And I've discovered that DS is not only a great worker/team player but possibley a homesteader at heart...

katy