Replacer

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Teacupliz, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

I plan to get our second bull calf which I will band and dehorn. First is in the freezer. Last year I fed a medicated replacer till the goats milk was flowing. He did not seem to do very well till I switched over. THis year there will be no goats milk till at least Feb. Does anyone know of a good replacer, I will get it from TSC. The last replacer was TSC High Energy Blue Ribbon 20% fat protien.

THanks for your help--Liz
    Teacup Farm

2. Celtic Herritag

Celtic Herritag Celtic Heritage Farms

Hmm well I use Merricks it's the best I've found for small ruminants but I've never had to use it for beef. Try finding a milk replacer that lists milk as its first ingredient, they're more expensive but well worth it in the long run.

3. john in la

john in la Well-Known Member

Milk replacers is where you will spend the most money per pound gain but you must do it. Get a replacer made of milk products and with a protein of 20% or more. Do not shop price!!!!
    I always use Purina brand even though the off brand is cheaper and list the same ingredients per bag.

4. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

As the others have said A Quality Milk replacer is BEST. So check the labels before you buy..

5. linn

linn Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree, milk replacers made of milk products are much more easily digested than those made of soybean products. We have always had better luck using the more expensive brands made of milk. Our calves usually scoured when we tried the cheaper milk replacers. If you think about it, the money you spend doctoring calves for the scours probably equals more than one would spend on the best milk replacer.